Premed 101 Forums

bachelor of Science

Guest kaka23

Guest kaka23

I'm just wondering if one has a bachelor of Science but unsuccessful at applying to Med school, what are some of the most common occupations that one can do? how about the salaries of these jobs? Generally, do people in the science area make more money than those in the business field ? I'm trying to find out if I should really go into science or business in University. I really like business but i'm also good at science, so i don't know how to choose. if you guys can give me some answers or advice to the above questions, it would be great.Thanks =)

Guest CoconutSmasher

Hey,

I assume that you are in highschool right now. Your question is a VERY good one; one that everyone should ask themselves. But I think that you should broaden the scope of the question a bit.

You are talking about deciding what you want to do with your life. If you are choosing between going into science and maybe medicine, and going into business, I don't think anyone can answer that at all. They are very different paths. Medicine is not something that you "kinda" think about going into. You MUST be dedicated to the idea. At this point I think you need to think more about what you WANT to do than what seems like a good idea. You will undoubtedly change your mind several times over the next several years. Experience has a way of doing that.

A science degree, to be honest, at the BSc level doesn't get you alot of jobs. You can go into related areas like pharmaceutical sales (I have a friend who makes good $$ doing this), but the rest are related jobs or lab jobs that don't pay well and have little chance of advancement.

Business is, of cousre, a totally different path. You can do whatever you want. But there is more pressure on you to create your future. Money "potential" is also limitless (Donald Trump?!).

So, my best advice is to think more about what you really WANT to do with your life. Medicine is a HUGE committment. I am 35 and making that decision--took me longer than some.

Best of luck,

Peace,

Stuart

Guest moo

Just because you do a business degree doesn't close you off from medicine.

Many people apply with bachelor degrees in business and get in each year.

What degree you do in undergrad doesn't really matter. Music, engineering, biology, physics, math, business, chem, english, french, mandarin and practically any degree you can think of can all lead you to medicine. Take your pic. Undergrad is a time to explore. Not to focus all your energy on what to do for the rest of your life.

Guest lex

I wouldn't say that the job prospects for a BSc are that limited. You can expand them if you want to be a little creative.

Me, I've never had a job that my degree has technically prepared me for. Rather, I used the broad skills I acquired during my undergrad years and applied them to learning the field I was applying to. It just takes some convincing on your part when you talk to employers.

Some of the possibilities with a BSc:

labs

science advocacy

conservation

public policy

business - I've got a lot of friends with BSc's that have found their way to management with tech firms

journalism

other media research

human resources

etc...

If you follow the typical path, it can easily lead to lab research; if you're not into this, there are a lot of other directions that you can go. you just have to convince people to give you a chance. To do this, I'd suggest broadening your experience through extracurricular activities. If you do a science degree but want to work in human resources, you should have some experience working with people in difficult situations. Same thing for the med application. If you want to go into journalism with a BSc, write for the school newspaper. There are many ways to get career related experience outside of the classroom.

A good start would be the career office at a university near you. You can talk to the Co-op office there if it has one - ask what type of co-op and graduate employment are available for students of the program. Keep in mind that these offices tend to lack on the creativity side though. They handle the typical stuff. So, if they don't mention something, it doesn't, by any means, mean that it's not possible.

I also agree with the other two posters - if you love business but think you'll be interested in medicine, go into business, take med prerequisites, and do extracurriculars that will bridge gaps in your skillset.

OK, that was a lot of information. The important things are as follows:

1. you can always change directions (and you probably will)

2. get experience in and outside of the classroom

3. in the end, you've got to go with your gut

good luck

Guest JiJi

I agree with the above posters, pursue what you enjoy doing the most... it will give you more options down the road.

I was in the same situation as you, and currently, I am in a business/finance field but also waiting for med school interview results. But even at this point, I could go either way because I really enjoy the financial sector.

I don't know about the science jobs, but earning potential for the hard working in finance exceeds the average family doctor by quite a margin (which job doesn't?)

Note I am bias, but pursue business.

Guest gwlite

start with something you like.... and most undergrads do end up changing their major sometimes (sometimes after first year and sometimes even in their later years.)...... explore things and hopefully it will all work out in the end

Guest kvip

depending on where u live, you can look into applying to UofWloo, there is a program here which takes care of people like you who like science and business, its actually called "science and business"

as a warning, it is a very structured program, u dont get very many electives, so depending on where u apply for med school in future, u might have to do some pre-reqs in summer or through dist ed.

if u have more questions, i am more than glad to answer them. did i mention u can go for science and/or business jobs:p

Archived