Premed 101 Forums

Statistics at Medical Schools

Guest mcortex88

Guest mcortex88

I saw this a while back, but I can't find it anymore.

Does anyone know the website where I can find the breakdown of each entering class at ontario medical schools (i.e. ethinicity, undergrad degree, etc)?

Guest wattyjl

mcortex88 - i'll give you the most comprehensive material i've found, but you have to say that this website isn't truly useless, afterall.... j/k.

ok, so here is the link to the pdf, it doesn't break things down in terms of undergrad and ethnicity, though, so maybe you are thinking of another document. this is the only one i have (and it's canada wide - why limit yourself to ontario?)

if you go on their website (assoc. of med. faculties, canada) you will find a link to order a publication that seems to have a lot more data, but it costs money. up to you; if you're really interested check here

maybe there's another website around with the info you're looking for, but i don't know it.

-james.

Guest UWOMED2005

You want to know the breakdown on ethnicity?

Hmm, well if that is a big issue for you in school selection - I don't know of any official statistics for Canadian Med schools, but my experience has been from attending conferences, FSS, etc that all the medical schools are pretty multicultural. I haven't noticed a huge difference in this regard any of them.

Well, other than the Quebec schools having more French Canadians!

The only groups that tend to be consistently underrepresented are African Canadians and Native Canadians. I know this has been a concern at UWO, and they've searched for ways to correct this.

Does that help?

Guest mcortex88

Thanks wattyjl, that pdf is pretty helpful.

UWOMED2005...isn't it absurb that quebec people have over a 50% chance of getting accepted at McGill's med school!?!?!? If i go to undergrad at McGill, will I be considered a Quebec resident when I apply for meds?

Guest UWOMED2005

I don't know.

I'm UWOMED2005, not McGILLMED2005! ;)

But I do know so-called 'in-province favouritism' is a) common, I think only the Ontario schools don't practice some version of it and B) is often overestimated as to how it affects one's chances of getting in.

Guest WhiteTiger

Wow...>50% success rate for quebec inprovs at McGill.

Woah, now there's a cheerer-upper for me.

Now if you look at the french med schools in quebec, the success rate for quebec residents is only around 20%.

I think what's going on here is that a lot of french applicant pool don't bother to apply at McGill because they (and I'm only assuming) don't want to go to an english med school, or are scared of the language shift.

Another consideration, the MCAT. McGill is the only quebec school that requires it. This means that french applicants need to go thru the trouble of doing the whole MCAT prep and exam only to apply to one school within the province. I think most would be put off by this...specially considering the MCAT is only offered in english.

Combined, these two factors probably greatly reduce the inprov applicant pool and ups the chances of those who actually took the MCAT and willing to apply to McGill. This is a situation I am very grateful for, because being a bilingual inprov for McGill, and McGill being my first choice... it'll make my life that much easier :lol :lol :lol

Guest noncestvrai

Why do you guys think I got in, you think I'm a bright guy? No. I was just willing to go through the hoops...and EVIL MCAT. Another note, McGill has quite a few francophones from CEGEP, but very little post-bac, so it might be true that the MCAT is perceived negatively by Quebec applicants, and rightly so.

noncestvrai

Archived