Premed 101 Forums

Taking MCAT for more than once

nestea

Some schools take the best one, some take the last one.

With the mcat being offered 20+ times/year now and people not needing to worry about providing proof after 3X writing, I think many more people will keep writing it. And honestly, I think if you're competitive in other areas of your application, you owe it to yourself to be as persistent as you can and keep at it until you get the scores you want. I don't think the schools would/should hold it against you if you write more than 3 times...if anything, it shows hard work and determination. That being said, what you don't want to do is write it when you're not really ready...in other words, don't go easy on yourself just because you're allowed second chances...take each attempt seriously and write it as if it were your last chance. Usually, if you've had to write it 10X to get the scores you want, chances are you weren't well enough prepared the first 6-7X.

Edit: I thought they removed the special permission requirement too, but I'm not sure.

I know this is probably not the right thread for this.....

but IN GENERAL, for applications to the US is it bad to do the MCAT multiple times?? I heard a lot of American schools average your scores...

Thanks guys!

I for one don't know much about American schools but I've also heard about some schools there averaging the scores...but when I was visiting SDN forums prior to my mcat, there didn't seem to be a shortage of ppl there who were preparing to re-take it....so I wouldn't say it's generally a bad idea to take it multiple times unless you've set your sights on specific (probably Ivy league) schools. SDN is prolly a much better place to ask this.

If you haven't taken it yet, I'd just play it safe and wait until you feel 100% prepared, especially that now it's so easy to postpone your test by another month or so since they are offered every couple of weeks.

I had the option of taking it last August, but didn't feel like I had adequately prepared, and in the end decided that waiting another year and taking it once and doing my best was better than trying my luck, potentially getting a sucky score, and having to retake it - and risk having my second, higher score being brought down by the 1st one.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.:cool:

Hi, I have a related question,

I'm going to be taking the MCAT for a second time, since the application deadline to apply through OMSAS is October 2nd 2007 I believe, I was wondering If the scores for an MCAT taken at the beginning of september would be the ones I would be evaluated on (since the results come out after the application deadline) or if I would be evaluated on the scores I already have.

Thanks!!

Archived