Premed 101 Forums

How Far Back?

Hi everyone,

I am wondering, for the CaRMS application, how far back can you go in regards to the activities you list? I am particularly curious about research (I only have undergrad research experience) and work experience (same, also during undergrad). If I don't work during my med school years and have a blank "work experience" section, is that really bad?

Thanks,

RP :)

Hi,

There's no stipulation on how far back you can go. I listed a few things from undergrad, but they probably don't carry that much weight compared to things I've done in med school. I would imagine that most people have a few things from undergrad listed, so you should probably include them. Definitely include them if you had publications, grants, awards, conferences, etc.

Do you have any idea what you might be interested in? If it's a competitive specialty, I would encourage you to try to get a bit of research under your belt if you're interested in doing it.

Good luck!

• 7 months later...

Hey,

As I'm filling out my CARMS online application, and looking at my CV, I am wondering how much I should be listing from life prior to med school (i.e. undergrad, grad school).

My plan is to list most things, as many are relevant, and may paint a better picture of who I am to residency committees. There does not appear to be a limit in terms of length, and the program automatically sorts each item by date, so that the medical school-related activities will show up first anyway.

Any thoughts on this?

LFTs

I am putting in some things from undergrad (which is a while ago for me because I also did a Master's), but I'm not really sure what to include and what to leave out. For example I'll put that I was on the Dean's list, but should I also put that I was a frosh leader? I think it might come down to how long it takes for me to get sick of entering things!

I'm not even sure if all programs look at the CaRMS CV. You can send in your own program-specific version of your CV that will be scanned in by CaRMS, so I don't know if they look at one or both.

Arrrgh I hate CaRMS.

I'm not even sure if all programs look at the CaRMS CV. You can send in your own program-specific version of your CV that will be scanned in by CaRMS, so I don't know if they look at one or both.

Arrrgh I hate CaRMS.

I'm betting that those programs that request the CV won't be looking at the CARMS CV...Arrgh is right...

LFTs

Archived