Premed 101 Forums

A Glimmer Of Hope

I just talked to the nicest admissions officer at ottawa u 2 minutes ago... here was our dialogue

Hello-

Hello-

me-I just want to know if you have sent out all of the invitations for interviews

her-No we have not we have sent out some not all we will be sending out a bunch next week and everyone will know the status of their application by next week

Me- so if we have not heard that does not mean we are rejected then?

lady-not at all....

So there may be hope after all...

OT6-i guess you don't have the best sources after all- but thanks for trying.

well there ya go champ. good luck next week.

just out of curiousity.. you mentioned you know someone who got rejected via a "gold scoop"? do you know anyone else who has? just asking cause noone else has posted about rejection and none of my friends who've applied haven't had a rejection yet.

well there ya go champ. good luck next week.

just out of curiousity.. you mentioned you know someone who got rejected via a "gold scoop"? do you know anyone else who has? just asking cause noone else has posted about rejection and none of my friends who've applied haven't had a rejection yet.

I know of someone who received a rejection email on Monday of this week from Ottawa.

OT6-i guess you don't have the best sources after all- but thanks for trying.

Flame me if you want, but I kind of think this is kind of distasteful. OT6 is actually in Ottawa meds is and trying to help relieve our anxieties by providing information as he gets it. This remark seems kind of flippant.

Calling admissions when they're already busy dealing with a flood of applications and then saying this sort of thing....also just doesn't seem right, whether they were nice or not.

We're all stressed right now, but there is honestly nothing a person can - or at least should - do but wait and respect the people that are trying their best to help us through the admissions process.

no doubt 0T6 has been helpful and i'm also deadly grateful, but i dont think med hopeful is going to get disrespect from me....

everyones antsy about getting in, or even totally hysterical. i dont think the comment by med hopeful was done in spite towards 0T6. i think it was more of a mix of relief, hope, and addled brains and the fustartion of feeling so friggin defeated that led the comment seeming to come across the way it did (pretty pretty hostile;) ).

so lets all be forgiving before this thread gets hijacked into a war and no hard feelings and no harm done...

med hopeful, youre still one of us, and 0T6, we're in your debt, boss.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it and I'm glad my posts are helpful. Like I said somewhere else I'm on here to help ease the anxiety cause I was in your shoes exactly 2 years ago and I know exactly what it's like with all the waiting.. for MCAT scores.. for interview invites.. for admissions.. and if you're on the waitlist.. a summer full of not knowing.

So yah, I understand med hopeful's frustrations and anxiety but I also don't think it's so healthy, especially if you've got mid terms coming up your focus should be on those. My post yesterday was reflective of the information I got from the meeting I was at so perhaps there was a miscommunication there, I don't know. If in fact they ARE still mailing out invites, then the best of luck to all of you still waiting!

All that said.. I need to double up on what weirdity said... chillax with the phone calls to the admissions office because this is just a small sample of the applicants, and there are quite a few people phoning and each phone calls takes away time that should be going towards preparing the emails to go out next week.

Probability is a tricky thing. If you happen to be among that 1 %, the chance of YOU getting an invite is a 100%. Am I making sense here? Sometimes, things happen against all odds. At other instances, 'chances' may be good but you are still left out. Oh well...it is a struggle between depressive realism and optimistic illusion. Haha...I am going nuts refreshing the ottawa and mcmaster threads.:P

Hey 0T6,

Is there a... reason why the number of invites left are being kept so hush hush? I sincerely believe that you are not supposed to post them.. but I'm just curious why U of O has not just let people know that there are only.. say.. 10 invites left to go out from a waitlist (this is a made up number I am estimating.. please no one hold me to it), if they know.. just so that we aren't left guessing. I know it's not intentional on their part, but I was just wondering.. do you know why they have chosen to let out very little information?

Thanks again so much for all of your help, I know it's really meant a lot to many of us.

Jess

I think basically its because there's no point.. they've said on their voicemail that there are still both invites and rejections to go out. Like Toroharo said.. if you're getting an invite.. you're 100% getting an invite, if you're not.. you're 100% not so it doesn't matter how many are actually going out (although I know being on yourside.. 70% invites is a lot more attractive than 1%). Personally I don't know why it's an issue, but since the office isn't publicizing it, I can't either. They're whole thing has been to ask you guys to be patient and rest assured that you will know your status by the end of this week.

I know but exact numbers aren't something I can post publically, sorry, but roughly speaking.. invites make up much less than 1% of what's left to go out.

Is it the same for graduate students? Are they finished asking for grad packages-my assumption is yes...

Thanks for all of your information.

hey so i emailed the med. office and got a prompt response regarding interview/rejection emails.......so here is the message below:

We have started the process of sending out by e-mail, the invitation to an interview and refusal letters last week and are continuing this week. We expect for all of the candidates to know the status of their application by February 9th, 2007.

Thank you and good luck in the selection process,

Chantal Renaud

Adjoint scolaire / Academic Assistant

Admission - Faculté de médecine / Faculty of Medicine

Université d'Ottawa / University of Ottawa

451 Smyth Road, Room 2046

Ottawa, ON K1H 8M5

T: (613)562-5409

F: (613)562-5651

admissmd@uottawa.ca

Archived