Premed 101 Forums

Curriculum Changes for Next Year

Queen's IS looking at changing its curriculum - in particular to start clerkship at the start of 3rd year instead of in the middle (thereby giving students 2 full years of clerkship), but this change will most likely NOT be in effect for the class of 2011. However, keep in mind that although Queen's starts its clerkship later, we start clinical skills within the 1st 2 weeks of class, and we don't have to come back to the classroom after our clerkship has started, so in a lot of ways it works itself out pretty well!

christa

queens2010

Queen's IS looking at changing its curriculum - in particular to start clerkship at the start of 3rd year instead of in the middle (thereby giving students 2 full years of clerkship),

Is Queen's looking at removing the first semester of science review, or speeding everything up, so that they still have the first semester of review plus all of the other classes prior to the end of the 2nd year?

Thanks for the information.

Elaine

I think they are looking at shrinking the review semester (aka Phase I (aka phase fun as its the best phase to have a life in!)), but to be honest, I'm not sure. A lot of different ideas have been floating around. Either way, its not going to be for at least another year, and I suspect more like 2. Hope that helps!

Is Queen's looking to make this change because they find that the clerkship is, in fact, too short? Or because they find that people think that way and turn down offers? Or are they changing it for different reasons altogether?

Love the name phase-fun. If they change curriculum, tell them to keep the whole backpack idea going. I'd accept an offer at Queen's meds just for one of those rugged things alone. :)

As for the curriculum change, I'm really not sure what is driving that

That would almost certainly be an accreditation issue. In other words, it *WILL* be done. Probably stems from the last curriculum change that Queen's "implemented" (read: bollocksed up) and have been tweaking ever since. This isn't a new initiative, it has been an issue of discussion in the Faculty for several years now...and hopefully the enormous effort of analysis will result in a relatively smooth transition when the time comes.

Stay tuned, by the way, for the results of the LCME accreditation review...should be announced springtime I believe.

k

PS the backpacks - I suspect - are those neat-o OMA-labeled jobbies that get handed out to med students each year. Rugged is an understatement! I've seen those take some serious abuse :)

PS the backpacks - I suspect - are those neat-o OMA-labeled jobbies that get handed out to med students each year. Rugged is an understatement! I've seen those take some serious abuse :)

I would just like to say that the classes of 2008 (or 2007 at Mac and UofC) got the shaft on the CMA backpacks. Hardly anyone in my class still uses their pack because they fell apart so quickly! (the straps ripped). I see 4th years and residents still carrying theirs. The '09 and '10 ones are pretty nice too. FYI all students in Canada get the bags courtesy of the CMA and the provincial med association. They are a handy way to recognize your classmates in the first few weeks of first year!

• 8 months later...
Queen's IS looking at changing its curriculum - in particular to start clerkship at the start of 3rd year instead of in the middle (thereby giving students 2 full years of clerkship), but this change will most likely NOT be in effect for the class of 2011. However, keep in mind that although Queen's starts its clerkship later, we start clinical skills within the 1st 2 weeks of class, and we don't have to come back to the classroom after our clerkship has started, so in a lot of ways it works itself out pretty well!

christa

queens2010

Have there been any more announcements on the curriculum change for Queen's? Is the plan still to change the curriculum for September?

Elaine

I would just like to say that the classes of 2008 (or 2007 at Mac and UofC) got the shaft on the CMA backpacks. Hardly anyone in my class still uses their pack because they fell apart so quickly! (the straps ripped). I see 4th years and residents still carrying theirs. The '09 and '10 ones are pretty nice too. FYI all students in Canada get the bags courtesy of the CMA and the provincial med association. They are a handy way to recognize your classmates in the first few weeks of first year!

Yeah, to add to that, people in the 2011 class found out the hard way that the backpacks are also not waterproof >.<

• 2 months later...

christa

queens2010

Does anyone have any updates on the curriculum changes in store for 2008? All I could find on the website was the following information:

The need for curriculum renewal has been identified and two years of planning have been invested. A major overhaul in the curriculum will take several more years to develop and implement. Curricular renewal and revision has been slowed by the need to accommodate substantial expansion, regional distribution and other innovations in the medical program. The structure and planning bodies are in place to generate pedagogically sound recommendations within the next 12 months, for implementation to begin in 2008.[/Quote]

Source: http://meds.queensu.ca/undergrad/assets/2007_self_study_recs__responses_1_.pdf Page 4-5

Thanks for the information.

Elaine

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Whoa, did I just see somebody say those backpacks are lame??

I will just say that I love the backpacks, they are very comfortable and I actually find they have more than enough room. Plus, the ones we got (2010s) are a nice colour, unlike the puke green 2011s :P

However, keep in mind that although Queen's starts its clerkship later, we start clinical skills within the 1st 2 weeks of class, and we don't have to come back to the classroom after our clerkship has started, so in a lot of ways it works itself out pretty well!

christa

queens2010

I have a quick question about this. At my interview, I asked some current students about starting clerkship later than other schools. The answer I got was that you start clinical skills in the first 2 weeks, and the clerkship length is actually the same as other schools.....just later.

From what I understand, there are other schools (eg UofT) that start clinical skills also in the first couple of weeks...but clerkship starts at the beginning of 3rd year. Could someone clarify for me if the length of clerkship is the same as other schools? Does this impact making your matching decisions at all?

Guest begaster

I asked about possible curriculum changes by September, and was told by the doctor-professor interviewing me that there was basically no chance in hell it would be implemented by then.

Clinical skills is not simply shadowing a doctor. Those are called observerships, and they are something you do on your own time.

By clinical skills, we mean a course about how to take histories and perform physical examinations, but the three-hour class (in the first semester, at least) is divided into one hour of lecture about a topic, followed by two hours of hands-on practice. A "lab", so to speak.

These practice sessions take place within a clinical skills learning centre, and about 2/3 of them (especially those with physical exams) have either standardized or volunteer patients there to help you learn.

In the second semester of first year, it's generally three hours of practice, seeing patients in the hospitals, long-term care facilities, as well as our clinical education centre.

Archived