Premed 101 Forums

Summer Prerequisites

Hi, I was just wondering, considering that most med schools require english (which dont have), if i took a full credit of English over the summer (or possibly during my 4th year) would that be ok if i apply at the beginning of this summer? Or would I need to have all the prerequisites before handing in any applications? Thanks

No, you don't have to finish all your pre-reqs before you apply. You just have to complete them by the summer before classes start. Of course, it's best if you have all your pre-reqs completed because that way the adcom doesn't have to guess about your ability in the pre-reqs......if a person applies with only half of the pre-reqs, you don't have much of an idea of how competitive s/he would be compared to someone with ALL his or her grades ready.

Law, I don't think there are any US schools that care whether you took the course in the summer or not, or full-time or part-time. This seems to be a purely Canadian neurosis.

I did my English prereq in the summer, didn't have any problems.

Jones - as long as the prereqs are done before you start med school, that's all that matters. In your AMCAS application they will ask for 'future' courses that you intend on completing before med school begins. Schools will see that you do intend on completing the prereq(s). Ofcourse, if you are accepted, the offer will be conditional upon completion of the prereqs.

Hope this helps.

Also check if the school will accept OAC english for the requirement (that is if you are from Ontario and old enough to have taken OAC). I know many american schools accept OAC's as undergrad courses - I think they just don't know what they are ;)

Hey eise,

How would you get the school to recognize the OAC English, as it won't appear on your university transcript. Would you have to send your high school transcript?

I just called my friend who included physics OAC as a prerequisite: she said she included her high school transcript. Also, when entering courses on the AMCAS application, you can include the OAC course. But check with the school (or AMCAS maybe) as to how to enter the course because my friend apparantly entered it wrong.

Archived