Premed 101 Forums

Interview letters

The name of the school is NOSM (Northern Ontario School of Medicine). When the school was first being developed it was refered to as NOMS (Northern Ontario Medical School) for some time. I think the decision to call it NOSM has something to do with the naming convention of other schools in Canada...Schulich School of Medicine at Western. Also, you'll hear some people refer to it as normed as I think that name may have also been used. I don't know when the exact switch was made but my guess would be that the NOMSAdmisison e-mail address is probably from the time the school was referred to as NOMS. Everyone at the school calls it NOSM (it sort of sounds like nausum??) now.

got my invite this week, for an interview in thunder bay.

- born and raised in thunder bay, undergrad at Lakehead.

- wGPA of 3.7

- all the usual EC's, volunteer work etc.

- worked with Indian Affairs for 2 years throughout Northern Ontario, so working knowledge of the region's key issues.

hi all...it's great to see all this excitement about interviews:) I just wanted to make a note - I didn't apply to Northern this year BUT I did get an interview last year, and I am neither rural, nor francophone, nor a member of the First Nations, nor have I ever lived anywhere in the North. I do have a great interest in rural medicine, which is evidenced by my work, but that was the only call to glory - so for those of you who feel down about being "rejected" (and I HATE that word), don't...Northern seems like an amazing school, with some amazing people, and dedicated staff... I would encourage anyone interested in going to school in Thunder Bay or Sudbury to consider applying again...:) I was really really impressed with the school, and they seemed to treat their applicants with a lot more respect and interest than I have been used to. And no, I didn't get in, but that's most likely due to my own nerves and lack of experience with the MMIs....

it's just my 5 cents:)

best of luck to all those who got an interview!!! m

• 2 weeks later...

Archived