Premed 101 Forums

"Reviewed - Decision Pending"

bwbl

Hi,

So I checked MINERVA today and instead of saying "Ready for Review" under my status, it changed to "Reviewed - Decision Pending". I'm an OOP applicant who never got an interview invite. I was wondering if other OOP applicants who weren't invited for an interview also have this in their MINERVA account. Does this mean they will be sending out official rejection letters out soon since the OOP interviews are this Friday and next Monday?

Thanks!

Hi,

So I checked MINERVA today and instead of saying "Ready for Review" under my status, it changed to "Reviewed - Decision Pending". I'm an OOP applicant who never got an interview invite. I was wondering if other OOP applicants who weren't invited for an interview also have this in their MINERVA account. Does this mean they will be sending out official rejection letters out soon since the OOP interviews are this Friday and next Monday?

Thanks!

I never got an invite and mine still says "ready for review." Maybe they will offer you an interview! :eek:

The phrasing on Minerva is frustrating. Direct word from the admissions office is what counts.

The reason why folks who didn't get interviews haven't heard anything official about a rejection yet is probably for the unlikely event that the interviewed candidates don't fill up the available spots (ie choose other schools, deemed unsuitable).

This happened several years ago for the in-province cohort and the school had to go back and re-invite applicants they'd already rejected for interviews and then acceptance.

Exceedingly unlikely to happen with the OOP group, and possibly not the real reason (could just be shortage of time), but I wouldn't be surprised if this is why Minerva hasn't changed yet.

Did you get this info from the "Admission Requirements for the Canadian Faculties of Medicine" booklet? Its quite confusing, and they have their stats on McGill kind

As Trustwomen pointed out, they sandwich all McGill students (from Med-P and from MDCM) in the MDCM table (total of 172, although only ~72 are for MDCM directly, rest are Med-P). So I don't know what that figure really refers to. Nonetheless, compared to prior years it is really high.

That number is really high because of the Med-P's. Most of the people who apply to med-p apply to all 4 quebec medical schools and a large proportion of them are francophone and first choice medical school is a french university (a lot of them apply to mcgill as a backup). therefore that waitlist moves ALOT and accounts for the high number reported. The OOP province waitlist does move but it seems like most of the movement occurs only in the summer once the ontario schools come out with their desicions and their waitlists start moving. The OOP wait list moves much more than the IP one does so if you are in the first 10 on that waitlist, i think you have a good chance...

l just looked through my email inbox and I received my invite last year on the 27th of February at 8 pm (my interview was on march 13th). so they definately will be coming out soon. Don't worry if you don't get one at the same time as other people do... A couple of my friends only received invites later on (like the next week...). Hope that helped :)

Thanks for those dates.

I noticed on Minerva my status has changed from ready for review to "Further Review Required"

The description of this is:

Further Review Required:

We were unable to make an admissions decision when your file was first reviewed. Once the missing documentation is received your file will be reviewed again.

But I also noticed that Kenneth's status also changed to the same thing:

I'm OOP interviewing in two days. It says my current status as:

Decision: Further Review Required

I'm IP btw. So Kenneth, did you have to give anything else in before your offer to interview came, or was that the status when you got your interview invite?

Btw, I think most people are finding these descriptions annoying because they are intended mostly for high schoolers applying to McGill, or so it seems.

EDIT: I think the "missing documentation" they refer to implies the interview itself

interesting... but why the spike in declined offers last year?

Because there were 70 more applicants than usual last year.

I am guessing that many of them were Ontarians who were born in Quebec, and who applied to McGill in-province as a "backup" in case they didn't get into their chosen Ontario school.

Good luck to you all. McGill is a great school.

I didn't receive any confirmation either.. so I was worried about it... I went to the admission's office and spoke to the secretary to make sure she got my email with the photo IDs.... and she did.

Did any of you receive the exact times of your interviews?

Archived