Premed 101 Forums

Why does Ottawa discriminate?

My question to all:

Why does Ottawa discriminate against third years, anglophones, non-indians, non-military? I thought in Canada we are all equal but I guess there are the equal and the more equal.

I truly hope someone takes them to court and humiliates them. Although I still have mac, queens and waiting for toronto, this ticks me off. The whole med school system is a sham, med school applications have actually turned me away from medicine and towards law.

"third years" aren't a particularly disadvantaged social group, i don't think. if anything, another year in undergrad is good for you. in general, there are too many people out there who try to get through undergrad as fast as possible with as little effort as possible... why not take something you actually enjoy and finish a degree?

as for the other groups, they're all trying to represent under-served populations. isn't that unfair?

non-indians

lol i laughed at this first...but then i realized you meant those with aboriginal status.

yea. life isn't always an equal playing field but maybe some of this inequality now will lead to greater equality for the future (in the population, for the perception of aboriginals, the access to care for those in rural areas etc.)

The whole med school system is a sham

You should tell them this at your interviews. Get over yourself, did you really expect interviews at all the schools you applied to?

Apply to law if you want to then. You should put in your personal statement that you are applying because you think that medical schools are discriminating against you, a male 18-35 years old.

And, for the record, all Canadians aren't equal. That's why there are provisions for those with aboriginal status.

Geesh...

Ok, I'll jump on the 3rd year thing.

I'm assuming this rant is because you just got rejected from ottawa and you're a third year student? Why are you so worried about an extra year anyway? Medical training takes many years, one extra year won't make a difference. If you're in that much of a rush, I'm not sure you have the right attitude for the long haul.

Ok, and why discriminate against 3rd years? Well unless you're a mature student who started school late, you will be a year younger. And whether you'd like to admit it or not that probably means a year less mature. I remember when I was 20 and I can say there is still some growing up to do at that point (whether you believe me or not). Also, since you've been in school a year less, you also know less and have experienced less school. That's pretty obvious I think.

My advice is to take another year and finish your undergrad. It'll be worth it in the long run. Yes getting rejected in disappointing, but it really looks juvenile to complain about getting rejected after 3rd year.

Also, just be glad you don't have to apply as an OOP.

My question to all:

Why does Ottawa discriminate against third years, anglophones, non-indians, non-military? I thought in Canada we are all equal but I guess there are the equal and the more equal.

I truly hope someone takes them to court and humiliates them. Although I still have mac, queens and waiting for toronto, this ticks me off. The whole med school system is a sham, med school applications have actually turned me away from medicine and towards law.

Well, the short answer is they don't discriminate against these groups. Although, if you are in 3rd year and you believe you are representative of 3rd years in general...your post would be a good example of why they would :P

Another reason third years often get rejected from Ottawa, Mac, and U of T (aside from the obvious maturity issue) is the often lack of overall experiences. After 3 years of university, you have at least one year less experience than 4th years+ (many years less experience than me - ok, im not that old!). And this gets reflected onto your sketch (unless you are superhuman obviously).

Hello Mikes Guy

Just some comments since OT 06 and other second years are busy with their block exam. (good luck)

I totally understand the pressure you are under. Having a high GPA, be Indian and so on does not guarantee anything. Even after your interview you have a 50-50 chance to getting in. on the other hand, being in third year and not being Indian doesn’t predict your rejection either. In our class, first yr, we have all sort of random combination: we have couple of 3rd years and couple of Phds and one university professor. i am only talking on behalf of University of Ottawa but i am sure it is the same through out. So try to think out of box and learn from your failure. If you ended up accusing this person for this, that school for that, you will have a very very hard time surviving in medical school. World is full of inequality. you learn and improve your weakness and move on. I wish you the best in your other school’s interview, but have this in the back of your mind that you may get a rejection letter/email after all :mad: . So what would be next for u..

Sara Kj

Med2010

Archived