Premed 101 Forums

out of province students...

Hello all,

Ive been lurking the forum for a while now and have found it very useful. I am currently a first year Science student at the University of Western Ontario that has a few questions in regards to UBC meds...

1. If I have lived in BC all my life except for my undergrad, will I still be treated like an in province student???

2. Will my grades from UWO be weighted differently at all?

3. What courses would I need to complete to fulfill the pre reqs?

Thanks a lot!!!

Thanks, but I already looked on the webpage and the only clear answers I could get were in regards to the pre reqs. However im still not too sure about the English pre req because in Ontario English is not a requirement.

english would still be a requirement. and yes, you would still be considered a in-province applicant if you fall under at least one of the criteria listed on the website. and i'm 100% sure you fall under more than one.

• 1 month later...
do they average all course percentages for oop applicants too? What is the actual oop cutoff? are there diff mcat cutoffs for oop applicants? What is competitive for an oop?

if you've got 90% avg, 35+ MCAT, and decent extracurriculars... chances are you'll at least get interviewed.

if you've got 90% avg, 35+ MCAT, and decent extracurriculars... chances are you'll at least get interviewed.

Actually...you probably need around an 86-88% average...and it doesn't matter what your MCAT is pre-interview. Since you would be considered a BC resident...that GPA is probably lower. The main thing with UBC is your ECs. You need to have reasonable, diverse, fulfilling ECs that you can talk about.

Actually...you probably need around an 86-88% average...and it doesn't matter what your MCAT is pre-interview. Since you would be considered a BC resident...that GPA is probably lower. The main thing with UBC is your ECs. You need to have reasonable, diverse, fulfilling ECs that you can talk about.

85% is a perfect score on the AQ, which works the same for OOP as far as i know, so i don't think having 86, 88 or even a 90% average would make any difference.

Wicked...even better than I thought. Quick question, is an A 85% and A+ 90%.

Ya, remember that they use your overall, last 60 and prereq GPAs to figure out the AQ.. so you'll need ?85% on all 3 to get a perfect score.

At UBC, A=85-90% and A+=90-100%. I am not sure how they convert GPA to percentile averages though. I don't think anybody is sure on that one.

only the overall and last 60 avgs are factored into the AQ (ie the pre-req avg is not included).

actually a while back, kaymcee worked out the following formula using stats from several people...it seems fairly accurate to me...

To figure out an AQ score given percentages, do the following:

(Overall%)*60+(Last 60%)*40 = C

AQ = 1.0422*©–63.8

It's important to remember that you need pretty good EC's even at the pre-interview stage, especially if you're OOP. Unlike some other schools (eg. Queen's or Western) with straight academic cutoffs, your academics only count for half of your pre-interview score at UBC. So make sure you do a good job with filling out your sketch/essay!

UBC seems to put a much lower emphasis on academics (they don't have very high entering averages) than many other schools, but a much higher emphasis on EC's.

only the overall and last 60 avgs are factored into the AQ (ie the pre-req avg is not included).

actually a while back, kaymcee worked out the following formula using stats from several people...it seems fairly accurate to me...

To figure out an AQ score given percentages, do the following:

(Overall%)*60+(Last 60%)*40 = C

AQ = 1.0422*©–63.8

I calculated my AQ to be 22.9... is that good for OOP?

I calculated my AQ to be 22.9... is that good for OOP?

It's the AQ+NAQ that counts...I'm not sure what the cut-off was for OOP's this year...around 39?? So let's say if it was 39, then you'd need 16.1/25 in your NAQ to be invited for an interview this year.

Edit: oop cutoff was 42.25 this year.

It's the AQ+NAQ that counts...I'm not sure what the cut-off was for OOP's this year...around 39?? So let's say if it was 39, then you'd need 16.1/25 in your NAQ to be invited for an interview this year.

Edit: oop cutoff was 42.25 this year.

Yeah, so AMmd would need close to 20/25 on NAQ to get an interview. That's not that easy! The scores needed for OOP are kind of ridiculous.

It's not easy to get a high NAQ mark. Most applicants hover around the ~15/25 range. I would venture a guess that there are more people with 25/25 on AQ than 21+/25 on NAQ.

Yeah, so AMmd would need close to 20/25 on NAQ to get an interview. That's not that easy! The scores needed for OOP are kind of ridiculous.

It's not easy to get a high NAQ mark. Most applicants hover around the ~15/25 range. I would venture a guess that there are more people with 25/25 on AQ than 21+/25 on NAQ.

I think your guess is probably right. From what I've also heard...getting around 18-20 on NAQ is pretty tough stuff.

Archived