Premed 101 Forums

Penalized for taking 5 years?

well - to be more specific, I have a 3.88 gpa (OMSAS). So even without the weight, it's around their average. So I guess my question should be - is my 3.88 worth less because I didn't "tough it out" like most people by taking 5 courses per year?

i think your penalty was not being able to drop marks. i doubt they will use that against you further.

you will probably be asked why you did that though.

i think your penalty was not being able to drop marks. i doubt they will use that against you further.

you will probably be asked why you did that though.

no excuses like personal hardships though - i just wanted to take it easy i suppose...2nd i actually fudged up and ended up with 3 credits. but 3rd year i did 5 credits and it was my best year...i dunno, i hope utoronto doesn't notice it.:o

Tarzi, did you get an interview? The interviewers will have your transcript during the interview so even if they don't ask you about your transcript, I would be careful in saying things like "I am a hard worker" or "I can tough it out when it really counts". Now, I m not saying you aren't those things, but make sure you have something to back up similar claims like those during your interview using examples from other areas in your life. If I was the interviewer, bells would definitely go off for me for someone not taking a full course load. Of course, this is coming from a person who took 8 courses/semester during undergrad. :D

Tarzi, did you get an interview? The interviewers will have your transcript during the interview so even if they don't ask you about your transcript, I would be careful in saying things like "I am a hard worker" or "I can tough it out when it really counts". Now, I m not saying you aren't those things, but make sure you have something to back up similar claims like those during your interview using examples from other areas in your life. If I was the interviewer, bells would definitely go off for me for someone not taking a full course load. Of course, this is coming from a person who took 8 courses/semester during undergrad. :D

damn, you took 8 courses/semester? lol.

We'll see what happens - i don't have an interview yet, so i may not even get one, in which case they probably did notice my transcript. now, if i do get an interview - i'm thinking that they didn't notice my course load. i know that in the USA, if your grades are great - your transcript is not scrutinized and they don't notice or care how many courses you took each year...i hope it's the same way for toronto.

damn, you took 8 courses/semester? lol.

if your grades are great - your transcript is not scrutinized and they don't notice or care how many courses you took each year...i hope it's the same way for toronto.

we're pretty much saying its not .... if you do get an interview (which, by the way, will not just be based on whether they saw your transcript), you had better come up with something cause thats the first thing they will question you on.

• 1 month later...

Archived