Premed 101 Forums

Wayne State University

med84

They have decision dates every month. So since your interview is end of feb, you probably know by end of march, or even end of feb...all depends if they are back logged.

Visit Studentdoctors.com and interview feedback, for everything you need to know. But they have one interviewer who interviews you and he/she is part of the committee.

If you live near the GTA, I recommend taking the bus to Detroit because it's quite expensive to take the flight (120ish versus 500). I stayed at the raddison i believe....took the cab to the school (10 bucks).

Ok good luck

I sure will!

My stats are 3.69 cGPA and i think 3.74 science gpa and 32R MCAT.

Hey Bear1056,

I'm almost certain they will be asking me why pick Wayne, now is it enough to say I love living in an urban city thats providing me with a diverse multicultural setting similar to several Canadian cities, and the fact that its right next to Windsor? (I'm from Ontario). Is that convincing or do I need better motives?

A more personal question, do you like the school? whats your overall opinion of WSU?

Thanks for your inputs.

Why wayne?

All those reasons you listed are great. Also remember, at wayne you see "ugly" things, such as drug users, homeless ppl, asking for medical care. If you havent worked around these people it will be a shock to you. I had worked around them...in soup kitches, overseas in India (helping doctors threat the "castaways" of society).

I told my interviewer that I wasnt afraid or will get freaked out if I had to treat these patients. In fact, I would truly find it rewarding.

Hey gang...

here are my thoughts on Wayne:

1) The clinical experiences -- that you have here (years 3-4) are absolutely incredible. The patients are sick, and I mean sick. You get your full of diseases that most med students only get to read about. Also, the clinicians by the most part are rock solid. You graduate here feeling very prepared for the next level. As for Board prep, I barely studied for the USMLE 2 and scored off the charts!

2) Basic Sciences -- This is the one aspect of my education I wasn't thrilled with. Don't get me wrong, the teaching is competent but not wonderful.

3) Cost -- it is expensive to come here...about 48k US/year. That is not to say that this should deter you, but you have to be aware of it. As a doctor, you will be able to pay back this debt load, but it is a large sum. However, I had absolutely no problem finding loans. Every bank wants your future business and so they become very friendly when you tell them you are a med student. See my other posts regarding how I funded everything (teri loans).

4) Overall -- I would come back here in a second (but thank God med school is almost over!)

Good luck,

Bear

I'm almost certain they will be asking me why pick Wayne, now is it enough to say I love living in an urban city thats providing me with a diverse multicultural setting similar to several Canadian cities, and the fact that its right next to Windsor? (I'm from Ontario). Is that convincing or do I need better motives?

I would maybe leave out the Canadian references. Not sure they want to hear that you want to come back to Canada as opposed to practicing in the states. Or, just emphasize that you like that it is near Canada since you want to practice in the states but still be close enough to see your family.

Good call on that one eise!

Didn't see it from that perspective :D

Take it from this perspective also med84 - you don't have to lie about where you want to practice. If you really want to return to Canada, then it's perfectly fine to let them know that. To be safe, you could just say that you are not certain right now where you want to practice.

I don't think that they would hold it against you if you said that you wanted to return to Canada - most US schools reserve the majority of their seats to IS applicants anyway, and it is these students who are likely to practice in their home state. OOS applicants and especially Canadian applicants, would be expected to return to their home state/Canada - the interviewers are real people who understand where you are coming from with the whole, "it's my home, i've got friends and family there" thing - don't forget that.

It's actually a great thing for schools to accept Canadians, knowing that they will return to Canada, because it now means they have a connection to Canada or to another hospital. Anyway, most schools do not ask about where you want to practice and they don't make the assumption that you want to practice in the US simply b/c you applied to US schools - same thing goes for US citizens who apply to McGill. They never ask "So why do you wish to practice in the US?" - they do ask "Why our school?"...that's about it.

It's actually a great thing for schools to accept Canadians, knowing that they will return to Canada, because it now means they have a connection to Canada or to another hospital. Anyway, most schools do not ask about where you want to practice and they don't make the assumption that you want to practice in the US simply b/c you applied to US schools - same thing goes for US citizens who apply to McGill. They never ask "So why do you wish to practice in the US?" - they do ask "Why our school?"...that's about it.

good job xylem i agree.

Archived