Premed 101 Forums

Questions about med school from student nurse

Hi,

I am in a Bachelor of Science nursing program and was thinking later on applying to med school. I've been looking into university summer schools.

a) For the pre-req into med school do I need a physics or math? I have only completed my grade 11 math in high school. Should I concentrate on getting my high school math and physics this summer; then later on applying for summer university courses?

I understand the pre-req are bio +lab and chem and english. I have all my high school bio, chem and english for entrance into these courses.

B) If these courses are taken in the summer, they still will be counted as my pre-req BUT the marks won't count? Only my degree marks will count?

c) What years does med school look at for undergrad? Will my last two years count only, or is it the best out of 4?

Also I would love to hear from any other nurses turn med school students to hear what path they took, what courses they had to do after their nursing degree and how long it will take. Were any of your courses exempted?

Much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sara:)

Here's an annoying answer :D

The answers to all of your questions depend on where you apply.

Some schools have specific pre-reqs including physics, but some schools have no pre-reqs at all (Western!).

Some schools look at your entire undergraduate record, and some will look at your best two years. Some require you to have two good back to back years (Dalhousie requires two consecutive years to be >3.7, for example). Some places (like Queen's) have cutoffs for your entire undergraduate record (3.68 for all years, for this application) or your best two years (3.78 for two years, for this application).

Don't quote me on this, but you can take pre-req courses during the summer and they'll count just fine, but for many schools you get advantages if you take them during full course load years. (Some schools let you drop some of your lowest marks if you take a full courseload for so many years, etc.)

Haha, sorry the answers aren't that satisfying, but it should be encouraging to know you have options to get where you want to go!

With hard work, you can get into medicine through all kinds of paths. Good luck!

First of all congratulations on your first post and welcome to the forum:)

Things really all come down to where in Canada you live and want to apply to. Schools out west need and english and physics while schools in Ontario do not require this. Your best bet is to visit each universities website to see what course pre-requisites are needed and those which are recommended.

Hope this helps...if you gave your geographical location and where you plan to apply that would give a better insite.:)

Good luck

Like people have mentioned, many Ontario schools will not require math or physics, but once you move out west they will require these (especially physics).

The thing is, if you do not take physics,

1. You may not do so well on the MCAT test (required by many school in Canada), which has a physics component to it.

2. Lets say you are not able to get into any of the Ontario Schools. Well, you may than apply to schools in west, USA, Europe, etc. Many of these school will require if not both, but at least one of the courses.

So I don't know. I would recommend that you take at least physics, but since you have not taken it in high school, it may be tough in university. A LOT of people seem to find university level physics to be one of the tougher courses. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out more.

Good luck!

Hi Sara!

I'm glad to see a fellow nursing student on the forum. There don't seem to be very many nurses turned med students, they don't make it easy for us!

The answers to your questions (as Superking mentionned) depend on where you're applying and also where you're studying now. I strongly suggest you talk to a carreer counsellor (I think every school has them. At the University of Ottawa their offices are in the health sciences administration office).

The nursing program at Ottawa U is structured in a way that, even with summer school, it was impossible for me to do my prerequisites. What I ended up doing was 2 years in nursing, 1 full year (with summer school) of sciences, and then going back to finish my nursing while I applied to med school. I got an interview last year and again this year at the University of Ottawa, so juggling my courses was worth it for me!

Your experience will be different depending on where you're applying and where you're studying nursing, so definitely talk to a career counsellor about what courses you have to take!

Good luck with your application! And hang in there with nursing, I love to hear about a fellow nursing student applying to med school! :)

Andrée

Archived