Premed 101 Forums

advice for interviews?

I think it would be surprising to get an interview with no ethical questions at all. That doesn't mean you have to study up for them if you don't want to -- they're just looking for a reasonable approach that shows that you can understand both sides of the issue, you definitely don't need to have background on what the 'right' answer is, the legal rules, etc. I suspect that the major benefit of doing some ethics reading before the interviews is just if it'll make you less nervous.

I agree with Kirsteen - the most important thing for the U of T interview is to know your application very well! You will almost certainly be asked questions out of it. Anything on there is fair game.

Let me clarify, when i said "study" for your interview, I meant don't rehearse what you are going to say for every single question. Last thing you want to do is to sound contrived. But yes, I do agree that you should know your application inside out and ensure you have consistency between what you say and what's on your application.

In terms of ethics question, it's not something you should worried about. Answer those using your common sense, not by what's written in ethics texts. As long as you explain your logic, you can't go wrong.

I agree with both peachy and Kirsteen. Know your application REALLY REALLY well. You will definitely get very specific questions from your essay and ABS.

Also, if you follow these tips from UofT Admission website, you should be fine.

Interview Tips

1. Be Yourself!

2. Dress appropriately. Wear something that is comfortable, professional and neat.

3. Smile! Make eye contact with both of your interviewers.

4. Listen to the questions. Ask for clarification if you do not understand.

5. Before answering the question, take a moment to organize your thoughts.

6. Answer the question! If you are not sure if you've answered the question - ask.

7. Answer the question once and well. A good answer is clear, concise and thoughtful.

8. If you're uncomfortable with a question, say so.

9. Be honest about yourself, your experiences and your perspectives.

10. Enjoy!

http://torontomeds.com/admissions/admissiontips.html

1. Be Yourself!

2. Dress appropriately. Wear something that is comfortable, professional and neat.

6. Answer the question! If you are not sure if you've answered the question - ask.

7. Answer the question once and well. A good answer is clear, concise and thoughtful.

10. Enjoy!

I guess most of these things are pretty obvious. It's just that it's easier said than done! Especially #7 and #10

I agree with both peachy and Kirsteen. Know your application REALLY REALLY well. You will definitely get very specific questions from your essay and ABS.

Also, if you follow these tips from UofT Admission website, you should be fine.

Interview Tips

1. Be Yourself!

10. Enjoy!

http://torontomeds.com/admissions/admissiontips.html

After having my interview, let me say, these are absolutely true. I am disappointed in myself for not following several of them. When you screw up, the interviewers know. ugh.

After having my interview, let me say, these are absolutely true. I am disappointed in myself for not following several of them. When you screw up, the interviewers know. ugh.

What do you mean by 'screw-up'? did you screw-up your responses or weren't honest about your experiences?

Archived