Premed 101 Forums

Decision: "Further Review Required"

Nima123

I'm a Quebec student and this message appeared on Minerva for me a few hours ago. I did see people saying here they saw this when they got an interview, but I called the admissions office and they said this is something "internal" (aside: why should you see this if it's 'internal'?)and if you get an interview we'll let you know by email (which they said will be sent out end of this week/beginning of next week yesterday, but now they say next week). Besides, it doesn't show on Minerva what I should send them for their "further review". So I'm really confused...

Does anybody know what this means?

Have any Quebec students heard anything back from McGill?

Does anybody see this message on Minerva?

Thanks.

I'm a Quebec student and this message appeared on Minerva for me a few hours ago. I did see people saying here they saw this when they got an interview, but I called the admissions office and they said this is something "internal" (aside: why should you see this if it's 'internal'?)and if you get an interview we'll let you know by email (which they said will be sent out end of this week/beginning of next week yesterday, but now they say next week). Besides, it doesn't show on Minerva what I should send them for their "further review". So I'm really confused...

Does anybody know what this means?

Have any Quebec students heard anything back from McGill?

Does anybody see this message on Minerva?

Thanks.

Same thing happened to me. I called admissions and basically got the same answer you did. The admissions officer told me the decisions would either be out tomorrow or early on Monday.

I hope this is good news!!

Hi White-Tiger,

They might still be sending them out. I had a few friends who received their invites a week after I did for interviews... So keep your hopes up.

For those who got their invites, congrats. McGill is an AWESOME med school and if you are accepted and choose to come here, you won't regret the decision. If anyone has any questions about interviews/mcgill med, you can send me a message

I just called the admissions office this morning to enquire on whether or not all the interview invites had been sent out. They confirmed with me that they were all sent out already.

The lady then proceeded to ask my name, and forwarded me to an admissions officer. He then told me that I was on the invite list and should have received an email. I told him I didn't get one, he said he'd look into the matter and sent out another email. I just got it...Interview: March 12 PM.

Woohoo, so if your minerva status says "Further Review Required" and you haven't received any news, I'd call the admissions office.

• 2 weeks later...

UdeM asked me at the end of their interview if there was anything else that I wanted them to know about me. I'm really bad at promoting myself and just said "no":o I don't want to give up this chance to shine at the McGill interview and just wanted to know how I can answer this without sounding arrogant. How do I start off? What kinds of things are good to mention? I found they touched on a few things in the interview...but nothing in depth.

I would really appreciate some pointers. Also, to those who are currently in the McGill program, what would you say makes it so great? Is it a good mix of lecture and PBL?

Thanks so much!

Tye

The way I would approached this question is that if there was something that I did (an EC, volunteer experience, leadership experience, etc..) that I was particularly proud of and the interviewer had not asked about it, this would be the perfect time to bring it up. Otherwise, I would just confirm my interest in the school and what i could bring to the school/my class and/or how I feel that I would do well in the particular curriculum style that the school offers... It's really up to you but don't answer the question by saying no. It's your last chance to make an impression on the interviewers... you are expected to sell yourself, just don't sell yourself too much or else you will sound arrogant.

The curriculum is mainly lecture based (whole class lectures) that are not mandatory. There are small groups (where we discuss cases, sort of like PBL) but these are not every day and the amount really depends on the unit. IN some units, they are very useful since they reinforce the material learned in class very well, others are really a waste of time. They are mandatory and usually first thing in the morning. The good thing about them is that you get to know your group well. There are also histo labs (looking at slides, with a quiz after every lab) and anatomy labs (not mandatory). Usually every wednesday afternoon for 2 hours we have physicianship. Sometimes these can be very interesting but most of the time, I find that they are not presented well and can be quite boring... They usualy are mandatory.

In addition to this, you are assigned to a group of 6 students and an Osler Fellow (practicing MD) for physician apprenticeship. You stay with them for 4 years and have monthly meetings with them to discuss all sorts of things relating to medicine and your training. They also assign you a first year patient that you must have 5 meetings with and keep a log of all meetings....

Anyways, that's it in a nutshell.. I'm sure you will here much more about thison your interview day

goodluck

physicianship is a class with a series of lectures on the humanistic side of medicine. we've had classes on professionalism, healing, communication, the medical interview, as well as series of lectures on working with the elderly, children, gay/lesbian, people of different cultures, etc... about 1/4 are optional, 3/4 are mandatory. usually the mandatory ones are the ones that most people find not very interesting and not presented that well while in general, the ones that are optional tend to be the more interesting ones. Some times, we also have small groups where we have to complete certain exercises based on what was presented in the lecture.

For the interview, bring a copy of your CV. They SHOULD have a copy of it but just in case, it's always good to have one. Get it printed on good quality paper. Bring a pen and a pad of paper. I didn't bring anything else except for a leather portfolio which had all of the above + a pair of extra pantyhose (since I'm very clumsy and they tend to get holes and runs in the easily). I would also suggest maybe some Tide to Go in case you spill something on yourself during lunch. get some good rest tonight and goodluck ;)

That sounds really great actually, McGill seems to have such a complete and balanced program.

Do you consider it unprofessional to carry a purse? I have one that's fairly conservative looking.

Thanks again, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

:)

don't worry about being annoying.. i'm doing some serious procrastination and trying to avoid thinking about the unit final exam. You don't know until they call you from the waiting room. it could be anyone...MD, PhD, RN, lawyer, med student, priest, rabbi (im not joking, a couple years back, i know of someone who was interviewed by a priest), etc... they usually are faculty members as well as retired doctors who come in to interview. take a look at the committee here http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/facmed/facultymeeting/committees/2002_03_committees.html

i think most of the interviewers are there but they also get community members as well

don't be nervous, it really isn't all that bad and trust me, you'll feel really silly after your interview for having stressed out so much about it. if you have a decent gpa/mcat/CV/letter and you are a decent person who can carry on a conversation, then you'll do fine and get in. the people who dont get in are those who act arrogant or those who lied about things on the letter/cv or those who try to be someone they are not during the interview. the interviewers have been doing this for years and can pick up on those things in 2 seconds.

Hey, I feel a lot more secure now:) (I think I'll re-read this before my interview!). Just being myself is definitely something I can pull off, and you're right, they must've seen something to invite me to an interview.

Best of luck to you on your unit final exam!

Archived