Premed 101 Forums

2nd degree

Guest seonagh

Guest seonagh

Hello all,

I know that if you do the victory lap 5th year for Western you must take high level courses in the same degree.

What happens if you don't get in for a reason other than GPA and decide to do a 5th year that will be a 2nd degree.

I am set up to do a 4 year Bio degree (going into 3rd year now) I will apply next fall. If I don't get in I plan to come back for another year and have the courses planned such that I will end that year with a 3 yr degree in Philosophy. Many of the courses will be upper level philosophy courses but there will be a few lower core courses to get.

I would assume that in this situation I would be able to use my 4th year Bio marks in the app that wouldn't have been used previously provided they were higher than my 2nd or 3rd year, but that the philosophy wouldn't be considered (those marks wouldn't be available yet). I just wanted to know if this would in any way hurt things (provided that the 2nd through 4th year marks were high enough to qualify me for an interview.) I can't see that it would and I think that finishing the philo would help alot of things re: my ability to deal with ethical questions etc etc (I'm basically minoring in it unofficially now), but I wanted to see if it set off alarms for any of you in the know.

Seonagh

Guest T dawg 2004

Here's the deal:

At Western they won't consider your second degree if you haven't had at least 2 years in that program... Next, the rules for applications are changing as of the round after this coming one... (i.e. for entry into first-year med in 2006) so i'm not sure what the specifics would be at that point.

What might be best would be to write a nice e-mail to the admissions office and ask them if they'll accept you half way or 2/3's way through a SECOND undergraduate degree, or, if they'll require you to complete that degree as well... But I wouldn't worry about that until you get to that point - ask only when you need to.

You still have to apply this year - and who knows?

Maybe you'll get in and not have to worry about this stuff! ;)

Guest aneliz

This could be an interesting situation.... here are the 'rules' at UWO...

1. You may do a 'victory lap' year as long as you are registered as a continuing 'special student' and not as starting the first year of a new degree. For this year to count, it must be fulltime (5.0 credits) and it must include 4 credits at the 3rd year or higher level.

2. If you have >1 undergrad degree, UWO will consider marks from your MOST RECENT UNDERGRAD DEGREE. You cannot use the marks from your prior degrees once you have started a new one.

3. You cannot mix and match years between degrees... so, if you need to have both years that meet the GPA cut from one degree... not one from one degree and the second from another.

So... your 'victory lap' year may/may not satisfy the rules... if it doesn't contain enough upper level courses, it definitely won't... and if you are registered in a new degree... it won't either... according to rule number 1.

Now, if you do a BA in philosophy, you will also have problems with requirements #2 and 3... in that only your phil degree will be used and you will need two years from the phil degree to meet the cuts... and you will not be able to use any years from your BSc... Given that you are likely mixing and matching (ie double counting credits) to get the second degree, this could get VERY messy.

The other problem is, that effective fall 2006 application cycle, you will need to have a 4 year honours degree as the only pre-req... how this will fit in with the 'only looking at most recent undergrad degree' rule, I don't know....but again, it may get ugly if your most recent degree is a 3 year BA.

Best to check with admissions for sure.

Guest seonagh

wow!! those are the tricky things I was looking for Aneliz, thanks. Hopefully my BSc will do the trick;) . and I won't need to worry about it. But in the instance that it doesn't I will certainly check before moving forward.

I wonder since technically I would just be working on the BA during the second application in this case would they just let me leave it out and use my 3rd and 4th years form the BSc which will be an honours degree. Well time will tell.

Seonagh

Archived