Premed 101 Forums

Were last year IPs high on ALL variables?

Just wondering if anybody out there knows what the stats looked like last year for IPs. Were a lot of people who were accepted high on ALL variables (GPA/MCAT/W.S. and ATTRIBUTES?).

And for anyone out there who is wondering.... I don't have any midterms to study for. (Bsc finished already). So I will continue to mull over this as long as I want :D (until my morning workout),

I was accepted as an IP candidate last year and did not have the stellar stats that most people who post here have. Here are my stats:

MCAT - 34S

Cummulative GPA - 3.6

Pre-req GPA - 3.64

I had TONS of research and leadership experience but had done very little volunteer work - no hospital volunteering, only volunteered with one campus organization and I had lost contact with anyone who could act as a verifier so they probably didn't even count it in their evaluation of my personal attributes section.

Remember, even though some people have incredible stats, they are looking for balanced candidates and you can really set yourself apart during the interview process. I got a May 15th acceptance e-mail along with people who probably had much better GPAs than I did.

Our class does have a range of candidates. There are some with insanely high GPAs/MCATs, which can be said of most medical classes, but there are a lot of people who have more emphasis on EC's, and travel, etc. Those people usually did fairly well on the interview as well to help compensate for lower GPA, MCAT scores. There are also people who have strong applications but completely bombed one section, whether it be grades, MCAT, or very limited EC's. So basically, every type of candidate has been accepted!

Archived