Premed 101 Forums

Course Level?

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Guest PhantomPhoenix

In the two years used for the GPA, 1 year has to be primarily upper yr courses and the other year it doesn't matter?

Am I correct?

I want to see if it is viable for me load up on 1st yr courses next year since I have satisfied all my upper year requirements.

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448180</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>the infamous waitlist :\</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>mydream88</username>

<dateline>1081255080</dateline>

<title>the infamous waitlist :\</title>

<pagetext>Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could enlighten me regarding the waitlist. Are all remaining candidates who do not receive an acceptance letter immediately waitlisted?

is there a "good" waitlist and a "bad" waitlist? Are people informed which type of waitlist they are on?

starting to think too much about this,

mydream88:)

Guest lcloh

i think what i was told is, out of ~420 odd apps, the top 25% are offered admission, the middle 50% are waitlisted (no good or bad waitlist at UWO!) and the bottom 25% are rejected outright. i don't know if this has changed, or if what i heard was a red herring.. but i hope it helps.

L

Guest gianefiasco

Thats an interesting piece of information, but is it true (:P ). Its only been 2 days since my interview and Im already dying to know if I got in. Seeing that some people didnt get final acceptance until august last year does not bode well for some of our summers.......:o

Guest mydream88

Dear Icloh (or anyone :) )

thank you for sharing this information. I am getting a bit of a mixed message that I was wondering if you could clarify. Based on this breakdown of the applicant pool, only 25% of the applicants are offered admission at first. This contradicts the information I heard in the past which was that 230 odd invitations are offered to fill 133 seats (that would be over 50% of those interviewed get invitations).

can someone clarify?

much appreciated,

mydream88:D

Guest MikeD

Hi Mydream,

I think what lcloh was saying was that at first only 25% are offered outright admission (~133 people), and that the bottom 25% or so (a vague estimate I'm sure) are offered outright rejection.

Eventually with people accepting at others schools, UWO will have to offer out around 200-230 spots in total, having to dive 80 or 100 into that initial waitlisted size of about lets say 200 or so. The 230 number you are referring to is the number of admissions in total handed out by UWO by the start of September.

Guest mydream88

thanks for clearing that up MikeD. For some reason I was under the impression that a whopping 65% of the intervees were initally invited to attend Western :rolleyes

mydream88:)

Guest therealcrackers

By the first week of June, you'll have your answer. Yes, it sucks having to wait two months, but it probably takes most of that time to get the interview results compiled. The best thing you can do is keep yourself occupied, have fun, and check back here (on this issue! check about other things for sure) about June 1st when the acceptances are going out.

The waitlist is not a "good" waitlist or a "bad' waitlist you get at Ottawa. Everyone is simply on the list, and if your number comes up with spots still available, you get an offer. I got mine in early-mid July the year I got in...

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Here's the definitive answer. After the interviews, all the interviewees' scores are tabulated to come up with a rank-ordered list of like 420 or however many they interviewed. Those that are academically ineligible or deemed unacceptable post-interview are sent rejection letters. How many this is I don't know, so don't bother asking.

On the last business day in May, 133 offers of admission will be sent to the top 133 eligible candidates. Some of these offers will be conditional upon maintaining a given GPA if that applicant does not have two completed, full-time years above the GPA cutoff at the time of application. The school will then wait for a response from these candidates, who may firmly accept, foregoing their place on any ohter schools' waitlists, conditionally accept, meaning that UWO holds their place while they await acceptance from another school, or decline their offer of acceptance outright.

As the various results come in and people decide that they are going to go somewhere else or decline UWO's offer outright, the waitlist moves to the next person in the rank order. That person is then sent an offer of admission and so on.

The greatest amount of movement takes place on "firm acceptance day", where all conditional acceptances in Ontario become firm (usually around June 15th or so), thus committing a candidate holding a conditional acceptance to a given school to attending that school and being withdrawn from all the other schools' waitlists- ie: it is not possible to hold more than one firm acceptance to medical school in Canada- they all communicate with each other. Then a batch of acceptances (the so-called "second round") will go out according to the number of people withdrawn from UWO's eligible and offered acceptance candidate pool. From then on in, it is one offer sent out for each offer declined and so on until the class is full.

So there it is in a nutshell. Hope this helps!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest aneliz

Tmax is entirely correct....

Only 133 acceptances are sent out initially....and then more offers are made based on how many people from the original 133 decline their offer...there are never more offers than seats 'out there' at any given time... the 234 number is the TOTAL number of offers made last year...from the last day of May until the class was full in late Aug.

There is no firm number or percentage of people rejected at UWO (that I know of)...it is the people that are found to be definitely unacceptable (academically ineligible or ranked 'unacceptable' due to their interview...) for sure and they may/may not also reject the bottome x percent of the rank list too...I don't know and that is pure speculation....

Waiting sucks...but there really isn't much you can do about...you will have an answer of some description by the first week of June!

Good luck!

Guest gianefiasco

aneliz said:

"There is no firm number or percentage of people rejected at UWO (that I know of)...it is the people that are found to be definitely unacceptable (academically ineligible or ranked 'unacceptable' due to their interview...) for sure and they may/may not also reject the bottome x percent of the rank list too...I don't know and that is pure speculation...."

I thought when you get an interview that means your mcat marks and gpa are above this years cutoff and basically now it is your interview that determines whether you will get in or not? What does it mean then that you are academically ineligible? Does it mean you dont have the necessary prerequisites or something?

Guest aneliz

It basically means that you don't have a second year above the cut...and you are not currently a student...there is no 'current year' that might potentially be over the cut...so instead of giving a conditional acceptance that is conditional on getting a second year over the cut, they will get a rejection. Or, that you are a first year master's student or a PhD student that is not going to be able to finish before sept...again...no point in giving a conditional acceptance if you know that they are not going to be able to meet the conditions...so they might get a rejection instead (if they are caught at this point... otherwise they will just get the conditional acceptance with conditions that they can't fulfll...)

Guest medschoolboy

Just a question about the firm acceptance date.

If I get an offer from other school outside of Canada after the supposedly June 15th day, can I still withdraw from UWO to attend that other school? Of course I'll be losing the deposit if there is one.

Guest aneliz

Yes you can still withdraw...but you will likely lose the $1000 deposit. What you can't do, is hold a place at another Canadian med school or remain on the waiting list of another Canadian med school after that date. You will relinquish all other Canadian seats you may have and come off of all other Canadian waiting lists on that day....but you can still stay on out of country lists or in out of country seats....

Guest medschoolboy

$1000 deposit? ouch, that's steep.

I must be off other canadian waitlists by june 15?!?!?!? I thought that i must only give up other acceptances? What if i'm on the waitlist of other school i'd rather go to within canada? if this is the case, then shouldn't there be very little waitlist movement after june 15th?

really confused.

Guest PaniDoktor

The date is July 2nd.

And yeah, all acceptances become firm on that date. Otherwise, no one would make a decision and the wait lists wouldn't move much.

Therefore, if you only get waitlisted and you do not recieve any other acceptances, you may wait until September, or until they fill the class. But if you get some acceptances and some waitlists, you must accept something by July 2nd. You will then be removed from all waitlist so that someone else can get on offer of admission.

The $1000 is the price for a firm acceptance. If you want to conditionally accept one offer while you patiently wait to come off a waitlist at another school (until July 2nd!), that costs $200. These sums are deducted from your tuition if you ultimately attend their school, but you will lose your $$$ if you reject.

I hope that this makes sense. If you really consider the alternatives, this is quite a fair and well-structured system. Good luck!

Guest medschoolboy

Quote:

Therefore, if you only get waitlisted and you do not recieve any other acceptances, you may wait until September, or until they fill the class. But if you get some acceptances and some waitlists, you must accept something by July 2nd. You will then be removed from all waitlist so that someone else can get on offer of admission.

So I can keep my waitlists? It's just not clear what you said becuase you said I can keep my waitlists until sept but i will be removed from all waitlists too?

ok, to clear this up, here's a hypthetical sit:

applied to all 5 ontario schools, accepted at uwo and ottawa (but prefer uwo), waitlisted and the remaining 3. queens is my first choice though.

so by july 2, i have to accept only one place so i conditionally accept uwo and decline u ottawa. can i still keep my waitlists at ut, queens, and mac?

Thanks a lot.

Guest PaniDoktor

OK ... here is how it works (sorry i'm not using your scenario, but I think that i can say it easier this way)

- on May 31st ALL Ontario schools will send you something: accept, reject, or waitlist

- if you have any acceptances, you MUST firmly or provisionally accept within 2 weeks

- a firm acceptance costs $1000 and removes you from all waiting lists and all other acceptances

- a provisional acceptance costs $200 and cancels all other acceptances BUT keeps you on all waiting lists UNTIL July 2nd.

- on July 2nd, if you still have not come off the desired waiting list, your provisional acceptance becomes firm (& you owe $800 more) and you are removed from all waiting lists.

That delineates the process pretty clearly, I think.

Therefore, if you do not recieve any acceptances but waitlists only, you CAN remain on all waitlist past July 2nd (this scenario is what I was refering to in my previous post). Then, if a school sends you an acceptance letter, you have 2 weeks to accept, after which you will be removed from all other waitlists.

AND, if all you get is one waitlist offer, you will only be taken off once their class fills up, or you get accepted!

Happy waiting!

Guest aneliz

Panikdoktor is correct...

July 2nd simply means that if you hold an acceptance at a Canadian school, you will not be able to stay on any other Canadian waitlists past this date.... So, if you got an acceptance to school X and a waitlist offer from your desired school on May 31, and you chose to only provisionally accept your offer from school X hoping to come off of your 'desired' school's waiting list, come July 1, you basically have a choice to make...allow your acceptance to go firm at school X and give up the dream of attending your 'desired' school that you are still waiting for...OR give up your acceptance to school X and stay on the waitlist at your desired school (and pray that you will get off the list before their class fills...'cause if you don't you will have to reapply again the next year...)

Hopefully that clears things up...

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Yeah, it's pretty risky if you are hell-bent on going to a certain school, especialluy if you forego an acceptance to another school to remain on your 'dream' school's waitlist. But then again, things are no different than if you were originally waitlisted by your 'dream' school and rejected everywhere else after the deadline should you elect to go that route...

Best of luck!

Timmy

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Course Level?</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Course Level?</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived