Premed 101 Forums

how did your interview go?

I know people say your opinion of your interview performance is not indicative of how the interviewers see you, blah blah blah...

But just curious, how did you think you did on your interview?

i found my interviewers to be quite antagonistic. they seemed to be working under the impression that i must have lied about/exaggerated something on my application, so they picked it apart trying to find something i didnt know. of course i knew everything on my application in detail because i actually did all of it, but it shook me a bit that their job seemed to be to 'find the lie'. all of this with a big smile on their face of course. not the most relaxing interview experience i could have imagined, but at least i could answer everything in depth.

katerade were you there on the 25th?

My interview was poor imo. I messed up a couple of questions, choked on some others, but definitely did well on others. I don't know how to gauge it, but i'm riding on the interview counting as only 20%. I was disappointed because I can and should have done much better.

Things that Katerade mentioned are true. One of my interviewers was reading my body language so blatantly. Anytime I moved a hand of shifted posture, her eyes darted away from mine and focused on my movement. Both the interviewers were very kind though, I must say.

I got grilled, fryed, and baked!!

Well, the interview wasn't horrible per se, but it could have gone better. I'm a non-traditional applicant (with an undergrad and masters in another field) so I had lots of questions about why I wanted to make the switch, why medicine was right for me, etc. The questions were fine, but it was how they posed the questions which irked me - they seemed rather critical of my decision. The interview definitely wasn't a comfortable conversation, but I think I answered each of the questions well, so I'm not too worried.

Yeah... I would say my interview didn't go as planned. I found that the interviewers weren't really out to get to know me, but to ask me some strange questions to see how I would answer them. I got very few if any questions on anything I wrote in my essay or in my sketch. Instead, I got questions on how I manage to do things outside of school and how I act in some hypothetical scenarios. On the whole, it was not a bad interview, but my interviewers were just so stone faced, I just had no idea how I did.

I had mine yesterday, and I thought it went really well. I was surprisingly calm, no nerves at all. They were both really nice, even cracked some smiles/jokes and the ever approving nod...

I'm already at U of T, and I'm in the medical sciences all the time, so it might have been that I've been there longer than some of the med students, hooray for home team advantage!

They blatantly had their list of questions on the table though, good thing I can read upside down!

i believe my interview went pretty well. it was very conversational...due to this fact, sometimes i did not take much time before answering the question. it was like a real conversation. i realized this afterwards, but i think its okay, because most of my questions were experience based, and i can speak of my experiences quite well off the top of my head.

there were other, more insightful, questions (e.g., personal qualities, ethical questions) where i would take a longer moment to think.

my physician was extremely receptive. the med student, less so.

i have no idea what either of them thought of me. they seemed warm, but i guess this is meaningless. i am replaying interview moments in my head, randomly during the day. i flip flop between the highlights and other moments. i have an urge to pick it apart which is annoying. may 15th couldn't come sooner because this waiting is difficult, but its only the beginning

conclusion: nice interviewers, wanted to know more about what i wrote on paper, friendly conversation, relaxing, no grilling.

Mine was also very much like a conversation. They only asked questions about me. They were familiar with my sketch and did ask about obscure experiences (a job almost 10 years ago) but they were all questions i could answer. my interviewers were very relaxed and friendly and did not write a thing (not sure if this is good or not - but definitely made me feel more comfortable).

...mine was also very much like a conversation... a trend is starting to develop. I think the key to the U of T interview is to know your essay and yourself well. I really got the sense they wanted to learn more about me as a person. But don't worry if they are stone faced... you never know they maybe smiling on the inside :)

Hey, if you guys don't mind, can you post up the name of your interviewers? I'm really interested in seeing the correlation between the interviewers and the interviewee's impression of them.

Maybe send a PM to UTGuru so that those who haven't had their interview yet are not biased b/f getting a chance to sit down?

• 3 weeks later...

argh just had my interview. it's very conversational, flows very well. and i guess because most of their questions are not those open-ended questions (describe,etc), my ans were rather short......... ~40mins in total

they only talked about 1 or 2 thing on my essay/sketch, when i wanted them to ask more questions on it! argh i should have emphasized on my experiences in the end.. :mad:

nooooooooooooooooo :( i feel they don't have a full picture of me. :(

on a side note, the med student interviewing me was kinda cute :P

Much to my surprise, I found it a lot more easy going than Queens or UBC. The interviewers were more friendly, and perhaps because each interviewer was interviewing less people, they were more relaxed and took their time. They mostly asked me to elaborate on my sketch items instead of specific questions, and also asked me a few ethics questions. It ended up lasting an hour.

Archived