Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Req. Question and Exceptions for Part-Time Study

I have two questions for anyone out there that can answer:

1. Does Psychology count as a biological science for the prerequisites? I have 1.5 credits in biology and despite lots of credits in the physical sciences, the only other life sciences credits I have are in psychology (if it counts). It did at Dalhouse, where I did my undergrad, but I'm not sure how U of T considers it.

2. The website says that they might consider granting exceptions for part-time study if a good enough reason is provided. My third year was spent as a part-time student when I was an executive on the student union. I managed to graduate in four years by taking courses in the summer. My GPA as U of T would calculate it now (all courses during regular academic year) is 3.7. However, if I can drop my four lowest credits, it is 3.8, so I'd much rather be applying with that. Has anyone successfully challenged the part-time rule? Has anyone applied as a former SU exec, who is pretty much forced to take part-time studies to fulfill the job requirements?

Thanks.

I have two questions for anyone out there that can answer:

1. Does Psychology count as a biological science for the prerequisites? I have 1.5 credits in biology and despite lots of credits in the physical sciences, the only other life sciences credits I have are in psychology (if it counts). It did at Dalhouse, where I did my undergrad, but I'm not sure how U of T considers it.

2. The website says that they might consider granting exceptions for part-time study if a good enough reason is provided. My third year was spent as a part-time student when I was an executive on the student union. I managed to graduate in four years by taking courses in the summer. My GPA as U of T would calculate it now (all courses during regular academic year) is 3.7. However, if I can drop my four lowest credits, it is 3.8, so I'd much rather be applying with that. Has anyone successfully challenged the part-time rule? Has anyone applied as a former SU exec, who is pretty much forced to take part-time studies to fulfill the job requirements?

Thanks.

1. http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/English/page-13-15974-1.html#prerequ

It seems they go by your school's classification

2. It's worth a shot at asking for the exception, but I doubt that you would get it. It's intended for people who were in circumstances beyond their control (such as illness). Being an exec was your choice, so you might be stuck with your 3.7 (which is still competitive).

Thanks!

I found that site after posting! I guess if Dal classifies Psych as a Life Science then I should be ok.

I'm doing my MA right now and will be done before I apply. Does anyone know how much being a grad applicant really makes a difference? What are they really looking for? Would having an MA help like an M.Sc. might? Are they expecting publications, etc.?

Thanks!

I found that site after posting! I guess if Dal classifies Psych as a Life Science then I should be ok.

I'm doing my MA right now and will be done before I apply. Does anyone know how much being a grad applicant really makes a difference? What are they really looking for? Would having an MA help like an M.Sc. might? Are they expecting publications, etc.?

I don't know how they compare an MA to an MSc, but having a master's definitely gives you an advantage. You can obtain a higher academic score than non-grad students. and generally, your sketch and essay are more impressive. It is not necessary to have publications but it is definitely better if you do - it demonstartes productivity in your master's. You submit a grad package in January with all your publications, etc. The more you have, obviously the better off you are. And if it is not possible to have a publication based on your thesis (i.e. you don't have results yet like me), you can always write a review paper. I just asked my supervisor if there was something for me to write and he had a bunch of pre-accepted review articles requested from journals. Even if you are not the first-author (less work), it is good to have.

Archived