Premed 101 Forums

Stage 2 Electives

Hello Dalhousie

3rd year student in Ontario wanting to come to dal for a month of electives in September 07. I sent my application and money in to Dal in January/07, but I have yet to hear from Dal regarding if my month has been approved. I have heard from other students that Dal is ridiculously terrible at scheduling out of province elective students. Any ideas?

Thanks,

D

I would try calling the electives coordinator or emailing her. There is a new electives coordinator as of last year and I think she has been a bit swamped with arranging things for oop students and for us too. I would also get in touch with the department you want to do an elective with. What are you looking to do? I might be able to give you some contact info if you can't find it.

Good luck! :) Scheduling electives can be a huge pain!!

edit: it might be taking some extra time if the Dal incoming 3rd years need to have their clerkship rotations scheduled (not sure when that's done)

I agree with Andros. I would also add that as with some other schools, I believe that Dal also gives preference to it's own students when it comes to scheduling electives. As such, they might wait until the current Dal 3rd year's have had sufficient time to submit their applications and organize their 4th year electives before they handle those from outside the Dal system.

The 3rd year clerkship schedule is set at different times for different departments. Surgery was done last year by around the end of March...Medicine not long after that. Pediatrics and Obs/gyne have set numbers of 3rd year clerks in each location at any one time, so that shouldn't affect electives. Family Med and Psych 3rd year rotations were set very very late (June at the earliest) so I would guess that the 3rd year clerk schedule is set too late to affect elective applications to these disciplines.

I'm currently in 2nd year and I can comment that this year they're trying to coordinate our rotations for next year all at once (with the exception of family med I think). I know we have a preliminary meeting in April.

Archived