Premed 101 Forums

Getting screwed by OMSAS

Guest ubcpharmer

Guest ubcpharmer

Hi

I am a UBC student who recieved his revised grades sheet from OMSAS and found that 4 credit courses at ubc were given a weighting of 1. unfourtunately, most of my courses are four credit and therefore my GPA overall is dropped. However the greater concern is that now a year that was 30 credits at uBC is being counted as 27 credits at omsas. this means that some schools (eg western) will not look at this yeat in gpa calculations as it is not considered a full year. as it turns out, i have gone from probably getting an interview at western to completly missing out. Does anybody else have this problem and is there anything i can do??>: :| :| :|

Guest UWOMED2005

Get in touch with UWO directly and explain the situation in the most diplomatic way you can, and see what they say.

From my experience (and experience of friends), UWO tends to be one of the more open-minded schools when it comes to discussing problems with OMSAS. This is the first time I've heard of this specific problem, but I've heard of other problems with OMSAS. A friend of mine a few years back ran into problems with some courses she did internationally and it wreaked havoc on her applications: both Mac and U of T threw hers out (this is conjecture, but possible because they both figured they had thousands of apps from other candidates so why take the time to figure it out.) UWO, however, listened to her story and in the end she ended up getting the interview.

But there are no guarantees with this.

Archived