Premed 101 Forums

Average accepted GPA

Hey guys,

What would you say is the average accepted GPA for MUNMED? I've read in the Canadian Black Book on med schools in Canada and it stated that average was a 4.0 (80%). Is this real? Most students who are accepted have a 4.0 GPA?

I am in my first year of university at MUN and had a 3.0 GPA last semester and this semester I am predicting a 4.0.

Be careful about how you interpret a GPA for MUN. MUN is on a 4.0 scale, not a 4.3 scale.

As for averages of entering students, the average GPA is about 3.7 out of 4.0 and the grade average is in the low to mid 80's range.

Just take note, that's the average, I was sitting just below 80 when I got in with a GPA just below 3.7.

One last thing, MUN wants well rounded people, that includes extracurriculars, interests, hobbies. Things that you can do to make you stand out will be better, even if they hold you back slightly academically.

Hey guys,

What would you say is the average accepted GPA for MUNMED? I've read in the Canadian Black Book on med schools in Canada and it stated that average was a 4.0 (80%). Is this real? Most students who are accepted have a 4.0 GPA?

I am in my first year of university at MUN and had a 3.0 GPA last semester and this semester I am predicting a 4.0.

If you go to MUN's website FAQ, they list the mean average for entering classes as 80% (and the MCAT as 9's in each section and an O writing sample).

However, the 80% does not mean you need a 4.0 overall GPA. You simply need an 80% average. The problem is the way GPA is set up. Cumulative GPA is the mean of all your semester GPA's. You don't have to have a 4.0 overall GPA to have an 80%+ average.

For example, in engineering, I came out with an 87% overall average. However, since I didn't get >80% in every single course, I ended up with a 3.86 overall GPA (out of 4.0).

You are probably better off looking at your average rather then your GPA. For universities, reporting the overall average and standard deviation would be a much better method, but GPA is so deeply entrenched I can't see it changing.

• 1 month later...
If you go to MUN's website FAQ, they list the mean average for entering classes as 80% (and the MCAT as 9's in each section and an O writing sample).

However, the 80% does not mean you need a 4.0 overall GPA. You simply need an 80% average. The problem is the way GPA is set up. Cumulative GPA is the mean of all your semester GPA's. You don't have to have a 4.0 overall GPA to have an 80%+ average.

For example, in engineering, I came out with an 87% overall average. However, since I didn't get >80% in every single course, I ended up with a 3.86 overall GPA (out of 4.0).

You are probably better off looking at your average rather then your GPA. For universities, reporting the overall average and standard deviation would be a much better method, but GPA is so deeply entrenched I can't see it changing.

OK so they say GPA, and then they put 80% in bracket, but if they are not necessarily the same thing, why are they implying that it is. Secondly, do they calculate a gpa like most schools or look at ur % like UBC

• 6 months later...

Hi

Now do they count your last 2 yrs of your gpa or your overall gpa..i have an undergrad degree with a 3.1 on a 4.0 scale. But I am starting my Masters next fall. As far as academics is concerned, having a good gpa in my masters i.e. 3.8 and above, would be sufficient or no.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hey NEPats

I applied to MUN last year. My undergrad gpa was ok - around 3.2 or 3.3, but I finished my Master's Degree with a 4.0. I had an interview but didn't get accepted. When I went to discuss with someone, they told me that my interview was excellent [i had all 4s or 5s out of 5], but the reason I didn't get in was because of my lower undergrad marks. So yah, it does matter. Sorry.

The impression I have is it depends on the trend of your marks. At MUN they seem to look favorably on an upward trend of marks. For example someone with a 3.3 GPA who did horrible in their first year but managed to pull out of their slump and increase their grades every year to end with solid grades would look more favorable than someone who continually seesawed between good and bad semesters.

Combine an upward trend with a solid Masters performance and a pile of ECs and I think you would stand a shot. Things may become a little more finicky if your semesters tended to be wobbly. That being said MUN is often said to take a holistic view and looks at the bigger picture so you never really know.

If you want to get an idea of what your chances truly are book an appointment with the admission officer to determine what you need to do to be completive. The admissions officer should have a better idea than any of us. ;)

• 4 months later...

I would disagree with the "trend" idea. Obviously it is better to have an upward trend, but based on my experience with the admissions committee they still put great emphasis on your first few years, despite an upward trend.

agreed. i had an average below 80 in first year and when i spoke with mun, they told me that mattered... and pretty much that there is nothing i can do to overcome it, unfortunately. i think it's pretty silly, considering that i've graduated and been working in a good job (in my field!) and my first year was over 7 years ago :| ... yeah.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone. I kind of agree with the trend opinion of Memorial for grades, as long as it is combined with great extracurricular activities and other volunteer experience. I was just accepted for Memorial starting in September 2012. My first few years of MUN I had not so great grades. THat being said I was ill for the majority of my first two years and was in and out of the hospital. However, I went on for three more years to finish my degree (an honours degree in science) and was involved in a lot of student activities and worked several jobs a semester on top of full time studies. I ended up getting pretty much straight A's and over 85's in the last three years of my degree and did fairly well on the MCAT. SO pretty much I think that you have to have a very well rounded application and an excellent interview.

• 3 weeks later...

is this discussion related to IP applicants? I was considering applying to memorial as an OOP applicants for which there is only 8 spots. my cgpa is on the low end of competitive (3.71) with a slight upward trend (3.8 last 3 years). does memorial weed out OOP applicants by grades/mcat before they look at EC's, employment (which i feel i am very strong in) etc... like UofC, Queens or do they look at the entire application in its entirety right from the beginning.

I would like to know, because i will save myself some money and not apply there if they have gatekeeper mechanisms like grades/mcat for 8 spots.

is this discussion related to IP applicants? I was considering applying to memorial as an OOP applicants for which there is only 8 spots. my cgpa is on the low end of competitive (3.71) with a slight upward trend (3.8 last 3 years). does memorial weed out OOP applicants by grades/mcat before they look at EC's, employment (which i feel i am very strong in) etc... like UofC, Queens or do they look at the entire application in its entirety right from the beginning.

I would like to know, because i will save myself some money and not apply there if they have gatekeeper mechanisms like grades/mcat for 8 spots.

MUN is very secretive about how they make selections. I doubt anyone can give you a good answer to your question.

It's only $100 bucks or so to apply. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that much cash to take a shot.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been told by the admission's committee members from previous years that it completely depends on the individual. It depends on if you are from rural NL, it depends on if you are a well-rounded student, it depends on your interview...so it's always worth the shot.

Archived