Premed 101 Forums

*OMSAS GPA tables

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ginny

Date:***2/14/2001 0:19 am*PST

I have just been reading some "premed advice" on some websites, and I am TOTALLY confused by all the talk of different GPA's! There's OMSAS(?) GPA and CGPA. I'm just confused. Can someone (Ian?) explain the diffs and how to convert? I go to UBC and we don't use the GPA system. Please help!

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jase

Date:***2/14/2001 5:45 am*PST

When you apply to Ontario schools, you have to convert your marks based on a specific scale that corresponds to your university. Different universities rank differently.

The result is your OMSAS GPA.

G'luck

• 3 months later...

I'm from UBC and have problems converting my grades (given in percentage) in the OMCAS grade conversion table. It seems either I have 3.30 or 3.70 and there's nothing in between. My cumulative average is 79% and best 2 years are 84.5%. Last 2 years are 81.5% Any help is appreciated.

Guest Akane200

www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/conversion.pdf

That's the correct link to the conversion table.

The conversion table is only for individual courses, NOT yearly cumulative averages. So, for example, UBC grades use scale 7. So let's say you get A- (use the LETTER grade from UBC, not your numerical grade because you are using scale 7) in history, so that would be 3.7 for history worth a full weight if it was a full course. You do the same for each individual course that you have taken and divide by the number of full credits that you have earned at your university to get you OMSAS gpa.

So, your numerical yearly averages don't matter. It's not discreet such as your cumulative average is 79% so you get a 3.3. It's actually rescoring every course you took according to the OMSAS scales. So it looks like your cumulative OMSAS gpa will be a little above 3.3 and below 3.7 somewhere. The cumulative average of your better 2 years will be in the 3.7 to 3.8 range.

Guest Anon

Get the PDF file mentioned above, and then open it... on one of the pages is a conversion table for every undergrad university in Canada. You can use that to work out your GPA without setting up the OMSAS application.

Archived