Premed 101 Forums

What do you do before an interview to reduce anxiety?

kiwi

Just be glad he's not giving you advice on how to prepare for the ob-gyn rotation.:eek:

lol. Despite what you may think, doing tons of pap tests isn't on the top of my list in terms of potential residency choices. As for what you're implying...I won't go there :-). I've found my woman and had tons of fun in the process. I'm just here to pass on my experience and to hopefully become a great, PROFESSIONAL doc :). In my opinion, a doctor who preys on vulnerable patients is incredibly incompetent in addition to incredibly unprofessional, since he (and it's mostly a guy) is chasing emotionally susceptible people because he's not socially skilled enough to attract people in a normal environment when the balance of power isn't so lopsided.

I know that Port Hardy is "rural" and would not have an avid gay community. That is why I found it so funny. I guess the whole Brokeback Mountain days of west are long gone. It is only the urban cowboys that are getting any action.....

Ha! God only knows what happens in those logging camps........

As an addendum to my last post: for anyone implying that going bar hopping and becoming good in flirting with people as a way of developing social and communication skills = possibility of inappropriate physician behavior, you could not be more wrong.

Most people that prey on vulnerable victims do so out of self-perceived neccessity because they can't get anything else. Because of this perceived scarcity, they see any easier path as an "opportunity." I think that by developing social and communication skills in general, not only will one do well in med school interviews, but he/she will be able to communicate better with patients and also be able to handle the stress of a medical career more effectively because they can develop a strong social support net.

Of course, bar hopping or my approach aren't a good fit for everyone, but it did for me. I had fun in the first few years of uni this way and made a ton of friends who support me to this day and I was able to use all the skills I learned to deal with high stress situations with ease (like med school interviews).

I think that anything that develops your self confidence will help too! It you feel you have something worthy to say and give in a social situation (interview, public speaking, or party), then it will come across in your communication. Providing you are prepared, use good grammar and "look the part", it should all come together.

The funny thing at my interview is that we had first year meds that were coming around and talking to us in the hall prior to going into it. They were there I think to relax us and calm our nerves. The person that approached me while I was sitting and waiting to go in, seemed more nervous than I was. He sort of skulked over and with a reddened face stammered, "Hey"..pause...pause and did not say anything, so I filled in the blanks for him...

It was good for me, because right at that moment, I thought, if this awkward guy can get in, I definately have a chance!:rolleyes:

Most people that prey on vulnerable victims do so out of self-perceived neccessity because they can't get anything else. Because of this perceived scarcity, they see any easier path as an "opportunity." I think that by developing social and communication skills in general, not only will one do well in med school interviews, but he/she will be able to communicate better with patients and also be able to handle the stress of a medical career more effectively because they can develop a strong social support net.

Haha, I think most of us were just joking around! It's funny how things can get misinterpreted when they're written on these boards. And I agree - most of the guys I know that act inappropriately in "professional" situations are those that have few social skills and very little success with women in all areas. (I guess it might be true for females on some level too, but it's a different dynamic).

As for having confidence at interviews. I think the more you do the better. I was definitely a LOT more relaxed by my last interview. So certainly doing a couple mock interviews would help. Also, try to focus on what image you want to get across to your interviewers: ie. try to think about what defines you and your personality. That way, instead of simply being self-conscious, you have an active goal for what you want to accomplish.

Telling the interviewers that this is your backup school always helps to reduce anxiety?! lol

I'd probably kill myself if I let that slip out at an interview. That's like interview suicide. Talk about killing your chances. There's a fine line betwee being honest and truthful, and completely obnoxious. Even if it is your backup school, you must have chosen it for a reason, highlight those reasons and they'll think you LOVE the school. To me, any medical school, I love..doesn't matter where you go, you're still an MD. Yeah yeah residency spots and bla bla bla based on where you went to school. If you really want something, you'll get it.

Archived