Premed 101 Forums

I'm so confused about General Internists....

Hi! :)

I understand that General Internists residency takes 3 years to complete and it takes up to 3 more years subspecialize (e.g.: cardiology). I am not interested in subspecializing; I want to be a doctor who deals with little bits of every systemical illness (from cardiology to rheumatology). So here is my question: Is General Internal Medicine a right career for me? Do General Internists study little bits of cadiology, gastroenterology, respirology, rheumatology, nephrology, neurology, and etc?

PS: I'm waiting for my interview results from UWO and Queen's. Please please please wish me luck. I'm desperate. :(

First of all, good luck with your interviews :)

A full residency in general internal medicine takes at least 4 years - 3 years core training and then a 1-2 year fellowship on top of that.

you're right about the training - you study all of the medical subspecialties - hematology, rheum, GI, cardio, nephro, etc etc etc.

You'll figure out if it's the right career for you once you get out on the wards and actually start exploring the different specialties. Before you actually TRY things for yourself, it's hard to know what you'll like and dislike. Sometimes a certain specialty sounds good in theory, but when you start seeing patients, you find that you really don't like it. The opposite is also true.

Archived