Premed 101 Forums

How does U Ottawa calculate Grad Gpa?

Hi all,

My route to meds is quite convoluted so this might be a long shot. I am doing a second undergrad after completing a one-year Master's and a B.A. (hons) in English. I am curious about how the Ottawa U cgpa would work around my second, shortened undergrad and my first undergrad with a master's in the middle. Since Ottawa only uses the most recent three years, if I only complete two years of full-time undergrad in my second undergrad degree, will they use my Master's grades or my last year of my first undergrad as the third eligible year? Whichever they go with, will it be weighted as a first-year (x1) or, since either one is more advanced than my two extra undergrad years, might it count as the x3 year? It's utterly confusing because Ottawa U's website states that one-year master's are not assessed by their graduate review policy "as there are no grades to assess." This is interesting, because my course-based Master's did not include a single Pass/Fail requirement - everything was assigned a grade on my transcript. Aaaaaa!

Thanks to anyone who can offer an opinion. I know that when the time comes I'll eventually have to look into this with OU meds officials, but I'm obsessing over it right now so I thought I'd check in. :P

Hi there,

The best advice is to contact the admissions to be certain. I will share what I know from when I applied, but things may have changed.

1) Ottawa first calculates your undergrad wGPA. If you meet the cut-off, your grad school doesn`t count as you proceed directly with the undergrad pool.

2) Ottawa looks at your last degree. So for example, in my case I had an undergrad followed by 2 grad degrees. Right from the start, I was told that my 1st grad degree would not be at all considered. In your case, your masters may not be looked at. However, since it is course-based it doesn`t really matter. You wouldn`t be in the same pool as those that did research-based grad degrees - see next point - since you wouldn`t have publications etc. and all those things they use to rate you in the grad pool (can`t comment on those things specifically, as I did not have to go through that process)

3) If your Masters is course-based then they may use that year (if it is full-time coursework) as one of the 3 years inthe wGPA and in this case you must meet the cut-off for the undergrad wGPA. But with a 1-year check to be sure. I know of one person who did a course-based but it was longer than one year and they took the entire degree and counted it as 1 year. I don`t know anyone who did a 1-year Masters and I am not familiar with these kinds of programs.

4) as for which of the 3 years your masters would count as...I believe it woud be done chronologically, so if they count it, then it would be the 1st year if you have completed 2 years of your second undergrad afterward.

Hope that helps

Sats

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

The best advice is to contact the admissions to be certain. I will share what I know from when I applied, but things may have changed.

1) Ottawa first calculates your undergrad wGPA. If you meet the cut-off, your grad school doesn`t count as you proceed directly with the undergrad pool.

2) Ottawa looks at your last degree. So for example, in my case I had an undergrad followed by 2 grad degrees. Right from the start, I was told that my 1st grad degree would not be at all considered. In your case, your masters may not be looked at. However, since it is course-based it doesn`t really matter. You wouldn`t be in the same pool as those that did research-based grad degrees - see next point - since you wouldn`t have publications etc. and all those things they use to rate you in the grad pool (can`t comment on those things specifically, as I did not have to go through that process)

3) If your Masters is course-based then they may use that year (if it is full-time coursework) as one of the 3 years inthe wGPA and in this case you must meet the cut-off for the undergrad wGPA. But with a 1-year check to be sure. I know of one person who did a course-based but it was longer than one year and they took the entire degree and counted it as 1 year. I don`t know anyone who did a 1-year Masters and I am not familiar with these kinds of programs.

4) as for which of the 3 years your masters would count as...I believe it woud be done chronologically, so if they count it, then it would be the 1st year if you have completed 2 years of your second undergrad afterward.

Hope that helps

Sats

Yeah, I think you're probably right. Although people can publish with a one-year master's. I guess it's just not assumed to be likely, as it is with longer degrees... and not that I've published anything, 'cause I'm still procrastinating on that point. ;)

Thanks for your input!

Archived