Premed 101 Forums

US med school scholarships based on MCAT alone?

Guest Shakespearean Fool

Guest Shakespearean Fool

I heard that if you can get 90th percentile and above on the MCAT, (34+) you're guaranteed a scholarship in the states, is that true?

Guest Jochi1543

At a state-school, you are not gonna get a scholarship as a non-citizen unless it's from some private endowment fund. I know some private schools (Washington, I think?) do give scholarships to Canadians. However, if you look at the stats of incoming classes of most of those schools, you'd realize that if this were true, then like 50% if not more of freshmen would get scholarships. 34 is what, 11, 11, 12? At most schools with the exception of the bottom tier ones these are the average scores for admitted students. I'm sure the criteria are a lot more specific.

Guest jmarks3452

hey,

definitely not true. most people earning acceptances at ivy leagues have a 3.9+ gpa and 36+ mcat and while some of them get scholarships, not all of them do.

many things factor in, including your state of residence and the school(s) you apply to.

Guest ssc427

WashU and UPenn are the only two US schools I know of that offer full scholarships which are available to Canadians. These schools have an average MCAT of ~36 just to get in, never mind the scholarships. I think an MCAT of 38+ might put you in the running, but you'd still need to have exceptional additional qualities.

Archived