Premed 101 Forums

Looking for a great place to live in Halifax?

Hey everyone, congrats to all who have been accepted so far. If you are starting to look around for a place to live in Halifax, I have a great spot for you. My landlord owns the house nextdoor to me. He's an awesome guy, very fair and very accomodating. He even let me put some of you up in it for free during the interview weekends, that's how nice he is! He's put a lot of work into the house and he's very keen on getting a med student in there. It's a 3 story building, the top 2 floors are being rented out by an ER doc, but the ground floor apartment/flat is free. It's a great spot, a nice quiet street, not too far from school but not too close, about 10 minutes on the bus, or the equivalent on a bike. The bus stop is literally three doors down. It's also close to the Halifax Shopping centre...like a block away...The house is on Quinn Street in Halifax, which runs perpendicular to Quinpool and Chebucto and it has a back yard if you have a dog or just enjoy having some space. You can mapquest it to 2491 Quinn St. Here's the ad for the place:

Flat For Rent

2491 Quinn Street, Halifax. Ideallly situated for serious students in quiet, clean and newly renovated building. Lovely walk in on grade, two bedrooms (or bedroom and study), eat in kitchen, full three piece bathroom, two entrances, in-floor heating, nine foot ceilings. $1050.00 includes heat and hot water, parking, yard. Easy distance to University and all shops and parks. Please contact Tim, 471-7460 tpc@eastlink.ca Available Immediately.

Matt

Wow!....That is an all time ridiculous high for Halifax rents! Quinn is not close to anything at all. You can rent a 1 bedroom in the W suites on Barrington street for $950 (including gym membership and all utilities...15 minutes to Dal by foot) Why so much on Quinn given it is so far away? Halifax Shopping Centre is not close to Dal or the hospitals. Really don't want to go into debt for an apartment that is that far away, and with so few ammenities nearby. Even Toronto & Montreal can be more affordable for similar neighborhoods. Wake up Halifax landlords!

Wow!....That is an all time ridiculous high for Halifax rents! Quinn is not close to anything at all. You can rent a 1 bedroom in the W suites on Barrington street for $950 (including gym membership and all utilities...15 minutes to Dal by foot) Why so much on Quinn given it is so far away? Halifax Shopping Centre is not close to Dal or the hospitals. Really don't want to go into debt for an apartment that is that far away, and with so few ammenities nearby. Even Toronto & Montreal can be more affordable for similar neighborhoods. Wake up Halifax landlords!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but $1050/2 = $525 per person = significantly less than $950 per person. $1050 is a reasonable price imo for a nice 2BR...

I guess I should be clearer, you can rent it alone for $1050, but like JewelLeigh said, for 2 people, $525 each for a gorgeous place, nice street, backyard etc is great. So yes, it's not in the downtown core of Halifax, but if you don't want that and don't mind 10 minutes on the bus (which is quicker than 15 minutes by foot), then the place is awesome. It is beatiful inside, clean, newly renovated, bright, quiet. Quinn is not far away at all, the hospitals are not far away either, Granted they're not in your backyard, they aren't far by any means. I live beside the place and I have no complaints about the distance, it is easily manageable. I guess it depends on your personality. If you want to wake up 10 minutes before class and run to the Tupper, this is not a place for you.

Archived