Premed 101 Forums

Way to remind us with a sticky

I guess a new thread won't be created for this year's application for the class of 2011.

Question: May 15th and May 31st are listed as important days on UofM's Applicant Bulletin. Are those the days when UofM sends out the letters, or when we should be seeing them in your mailboxes?

It says on their bulletin that May 15th is the day the first wave of acceptances are mailed out. By May 31, the rest of the decisions for accept (remaining 1/3), waitlist, and reject are mailed out.

I don't know what kind of mail they will be using - if they are using standard letter post, then it could take a while to receive anything if you live far from Manitoba. If letters are sent out on the 15th, I think all those in manitoba should get it the same week, and others the following week...

I hope that they will use rapid mailing for addresses outside of Winnipeg. The "Orientation for the Applicant" says that a timeframe of 10 working days is given for response. Knowing the fine work of Canada Post I would have to say anybody accepted outside Winnipeg may have to send the response back w/ deposit right after the letter is opened.

When does the Admissions Committee meet up to discuss applications? Do you all think they are in discussions now? Who composes the Admissions Committee? I read in earlier-year's threads and apparently the committee meets up in late April?

I didn't know there was a committee that meets - I thought that it is all based on scores and then we're all ranked. Interviewers scored us, people reading our essays and LORs scored us, and our MCAT and GPA are scored by a formula, and finally an overal formula gives us an overall score and that's it...no?

I didn't know there was a committee that meets - I thought that it is all based on scores and then we're all ranked. Interviewers scored us, people reading our essays and LORs scored us, and our MCAT and GPA are scored by a formula, and finally an overal formula gives us an overall score and that's it...no?

thats what i thought too

but maybe a committee looks at all the essay the notes from the interviews and the references to give a total PAS???

Havent you learned, everything on university has some form of committee :P

A committee to make a committee to help another committee make decisions. :D

So..there is an admissions committee.

From what I've googled they do things like consider people's AGPAs prior to interviews (http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/admissions/agpa.html) or appoint the chair for interview committees. (http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/admissions/index.html) or people that fail first year :eek: (http://webapps.cc.umanitoba.ca/calendar07/faculties/medicine/evaluation/preclerkship.asp)

As for the post-interview part, who really knows. In the end, they take our academic scores, PAS, and what not and rank the top whatever # of students.

i was talking to someone who was asked to be the chair but she said she didn't like it becuase of the responsibility. I think she said she would have to be involved in reviewing all the interviewees that day and assimilating the other's notes, or something like that, my memory's a little foggy

I wonder if it's a good or bad thing that my interview was the first of the day. If the chairperson has the responsibility of reviewing all the applicants of the day while incorporating the other panelists' notes, will it be harder to remember the earlier interviews of the day? I'm just yapping because my interview was at 8:45 am. =)

I wonder if it's a good or bad thing that my interview was the first of the day. If the chairperson has the responsibility of reviewing all the applicants of the day while incorporating the other panelists' notes, will it be harder to remember the earlier interviews of the day? I'm just yapping because my interview was at 8:45 am. =)

yeah mine was 8:45 too, on my birthday :(

yeah mine was 8:45 too, on my birthday :(

wow, that sucks big time. They write down notes so that they can remember you so it shouldn't be too bad. And you're probably better off if you're early in the morning or about an hour after lunch because the interviewers are just starting out/refreshed so they'll probably be in a better mood.

Archived