Premed 101 Forums

Another Chances/Advices Thread.

Hello Everyone.

According to AMCAS I am applying with a 3.58 for 2008 over 5 years undergraduate to a large list of US schools. I have written the MCAT once and got a 31M. I'm hoping to focus on the fact that I got a 4.0 this year while working full time at a Sleep Clinic. I would say my ECs are average and I'm hoping to get good LORs.

So should I retake the MCAT or would it be better just to apply early? I think 33-34 P-Q is possible.

Secondly, what should be my GPA cut-off range for applying? Should I apply only to schools with averages under 3.8? 3.7?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Everyone.

According to AMCAS I am applying with a 3.58 for 2008 over 5 years undergraduate to a large list of US schools. I have written the MCAT once and got a 31M. I'm hoping to focus on the fact that I got a 4.0 this year while working full time at a Sleep Clinic. I would say my ECs are average and I'm hoping to get good LORs.

So should I retake the MCAT or would it be better just to apply early? I think 33-34 P-Q is possible.

Secondly, what should be my GPA cut-off range for applying? Should I apply only to schools with averages under 3.8? 3.7?

Thanks in advance.

No. You never know unless you try. Throw in a few.

Hello Everyone.

Thanks in advance.

Thats a tough situation you are in. Applying extremely early will help you tremedously. So would having research experience (life experiences) to set you apart from the average (3.6 and 31 is average for marticulating students). Make sure your PS and LORS are KICK ass.

I would not take the MCAT again. Unless its a highly skewed score (eg. 5, 13, 13)

Thats a tough situation you are in. Applying extremely early will help you tremedously. So would having research experience (life experiences) to set you apart from the average (3.6 and 31 is average for marticulating students). Make sure your PS and LORS are KICK ass.

I would not take the MCAT again. Unless its a highly skewed score (eg. 5, 13, 13)

Thanks for the advice. My MCAT is 11,10,10, but with an M for the writing sample portion that I really would love to get rid of to get the automatic interviews at Western and Queens. So I had an additional question. If I apply with the 31M to the US schools extremely early and then rewrite the MCAT in the summer before the Canadian applications are due...

Can I report the score on ACMAS?

Do I have to report the score on ACMAS?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. My MCAT is 11,10,10, but with an M for the writing sample portion that I really would love to get rid of to get the automatic interviews at Western and Queens. So I had an additional question. If I apply with the 31M to the US schools extremely early and then rewrite the MCAT in the summer before the Canadian applications are due...

Thanks again.

I am not actaully sure how this works. Search or Post on SDN. But I know your score automatically gets update onto AMCAS, however, individuals schools wont know till you make them aware. SO I say apply early with your existing scores. Get a high MCAT score, and update individual schools (American schools) later on in the process. You probably cant update those schools who have rejected you with the existing scores, but those who have put you on hold for an interview (or given you an interview) you can kindly update them I am sure. Just dont get a lower score, that ****s things up. Also, get advice from ppl on SDN on this issue.

Thanks again.

AMCAS automatically releases the scores that you have to the schools. The secondary applications ask if you are writing the MCAT anytime soon (ie. within the application cycle) and if you want that score taken into consideration or not.

Archived