Premed 101 Forums

Which type of canadian students apply to the US?

I personally applied because I wanted to be judge for more than a number a computer spits out. Hey if I had the numbers that would be great, but sadly I didnt.

You're numbers are not all that bad actually. If you had written the MCAT one more time, you could've gotten 10s across and stand a very good chance at some ON schools - like all of them, except maybe ottawa and NOSM. With your experiences...

Hey

I'm applying to the US as a first choice. I don't want to work in the Canadian system, especially not the Quebec one, and there are more learning opportunities there. However, I have heard that Canadian schools are superior than the US ones, which makes me doubt my choice...

Any ideas about that one?

I want to go to the states because I don't have the numbers that get me in Canada. I'm not a bad student, I do have an excellent science gpa and my overall is ok...I'm a quebec resident, my french sucks, Ontario universities won't even look at my application. My CRU won't ever be good in french universities because of the program I come from as I won't ever pass an interview in french.....which basically makes Mcgill my one and only choice....

I can apply to more than 20 American universities.....American schools are not bad, don't forget that most of the new technology and research actually come from there....

If your GPA is alright and you feel you could interview well in english, have you considered applying OOP. Dalhousie, UBC, Alberta, and MUN are all possibilities. If you want to go to the US, then go. However, if you are going because you believe you can't get into a Canadian school, then don't you want to exhaust all your options first?

If your GPA is alright and you feel you could interview well in english, have you considered applying OOP. Dalhousie, UBC, Alberta, and MUN are all possibilities. If you want to go to the US, then go. However, if you are going because you believe you can't get into a Canadian school, then don't you want to exhaust all your options first?

I will exhaust my options for Canada Kuantum but I don't know what my chances are specially that I haven't done my MCAT yet. Also I don't meet the biochem requirements for UBC and MUN.

My CGPA is 3.65, my bcpm is 3.88

My first year will be over 3.7 if you consider the summer courses with it, also this year (3rd year) is 3.73. I can definietly get more then 3.7 next year but I don't want to waste more time and wait till 2008 to apply. My GPA problem is winter semester 2006, I just scr*wed it up too bad to make up for it...

I will exhaust my options for Canada Kuantum but I don't know what my chances are specially that I haven't done my MCAT yet. Also I don't meet the biochem requirements for UBC and MUN.

My CGPA is 3.65, my bcpm is 3.88

My first year will be over 3.7 if you consider the summer courses with it, also this year (3rd year) is 3.73. I can definietly get more then 3.7 next year but I don't want to waste more time and wait till 2008 to apply. My GPA problem is winter semester 2006, I just scr*wed it up too bad to make up for it...

get over 30, and if you get over 32+ start thinking about buying a white coat :)

apply to all those places too.

Hey

I'm applying to the US as a first choice. I don't want to work in the Canadian system, especially not the Quebec one, and there are more learning opportunities there. However, I have heard that Canadian schools are superior than the US ones, which makes me doubt my choice...

what? lol....

Hey

Hey, there is a lot of variation in the quality of medical schools in the US. The big schools like Harvard etc. are "better" than Canadian schools. However, the lower tier schools are probably not as good. In general, the state schools are usually good as they are regulated by the government.

Places like Harvard are definitely more known than most Canadian schools. However, make sure you aren't applying to any school just because of the name. I mean, that can be a factor, but if that is everything...you may be left disappointed.

The thing to remember folks is your only good as the last place you studied at. After getting your residency placement it doesnt matter where you went to med school. The same goes with fellowships.

Of course, some schools give you a better chance at getting a good residency over others. But general idea still remains the same: if you work hard during med school AND get an outstanding score in the USMLE, no residency is out of the question for you.

After all, you only need a chance. If a Canadian schools doesnt give you that chance, go to the US...

Archived