Premed 101 Forums

Interested in Radiology?

Hi

I am a first year medical student and I am interested in pursuing radiology. What are the some of the things that I can do to strengthen my application come CARMS time?

Hey there,

Here are a few ideas:

1) Find a Radiology mentor at your home school and also, at the school that is your top choice (if not your home school). Each will be able to provide you with good insights re: the field, in general, as well as the current goings-on in their Radiology programs, among other things.

2) If you can, start shadowing some Radiologists at your own school. This might help you secure elective time in that department in future and confirm your career choice (or the opposite). Remember though: Radiology shadowing/electives can be a bit dull if you don't interact with the Rads person too much. Get as involved as possible.

3) Electives: when it comes around to choosing who to work with, ask around as to who are the better teachers. Try to spend time with them. That can make a huge difference.

4) Get involved in some Rads research. There are often plenty of projects out there. (E-mail me if you're in Ontario and looking for some Rads research opportunities.) These can help to demonstrate your interest in the field and if you are interested in the field then you might actually enjoy the experience, to boot.

5) Whether or not you're presenting, although the latter would be ideal, try to attend a local Radiology conference. It'll give you a better idea of the latest developments and issues in the field.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived