Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Residences

I'm still waiting to hear from Queen's and UWO, with Q being my first choice. I'm thinking of living in one of their residences, but I was wondering if Leggett and Watts hall offer rooms to medical students. Any ideas?

I'm still waiting to hear from Queen's and UWO, with Q being my first choice. I'm thinking of living in one of their residences, but I was wondering if Leggett and Watts hall offer rooms to medical students. Any ideas?

Watts/Leggett would offer rooms to medical students...but the deadline for applying for upper year residence spots has already passed.

To add to what Kenneth has said, application to Watts and Leggett Hall (which are the nice residences on campus) are due in February. The thing is, even if you send in an application, there's no guarantee that you will actually get a spot. I'm in undergrad here at Queen's and I know from the experience of my friends that every year lots of people who apply through the lottery system don't get into Watts/Leggett and end up having to live at West Campus instead. The West campus part isn't so bad, but it's just that you will be living amongst frosh and it could get really noisy.

Plus, if you live at Watts/Leggett, you will have to buy a meal plan (you can't opt out of it), and the cafeteria at Queen's, while they are trying to improve, don't exactly serve the most appetizing fares...

A better bet would be to try the Grad Residence, which is part of the JDUC (John Deutch University Centre). A big downside to this is that construction on the Queen's Centre has started already and the Grad Res is right next to "ground zero"... it will be very noisy living there next year.

You can always get a Bachelor's apartmet! Bachelor apartments go for about $600 + utilities etc, if you want a semi-decent one in a semi-good location. You can check out the Queen's Accomodation listing service here:

http://notes.queensu.ca/ALSWeb.nsf

Should you get your favorable reply from Queen's, I would suggest looking into Meds house. It's a non-profit house, so the rent is dirt cheap, and the location is literally a stone's throw away from the school (for those of you who went, it was where the martini party was held). If you are looking for res, it's your best bet for med students.

Don't go to a residence hall, it's too immature there, and they'll gouge you for bucks, for a teeny little room, and with the free ice cream, pizza etc policy, you'll add 20 pounds in one year.

Better to find an apartment. You can check with the housing registry, they have lots of good places listed, near campus (everything marked zone 1-3 is OK).

Hi, I have just been accepted to Queen`s medical school and I was hoping to get more information about Meds House and other possible living quarters. i.e. their costs and living conditions. Furthermore, I would really appreciate a rough, yearly estimate for total cost of living as a Queen`s medical student/Kingston resident (i.e. rent & food) as well as an estimate for yearly education costs (tuition, equipment, books, licensing, etc.). Thank you kindly.

• 2 weeks later...

That's good news.

Yearly costs can vary from 30000 - 40000 for a med student, I'd say, based on 3 yars at Queen's, in both Biology and Eng. Housing is about 750 plus 100 electricity, food about 150-200, tuition around 16k, books, supplies maybe 4-5 k if you want all the good stuff, like a new laptop, etc.

the good thing is the maximum indebtedness in ontario for loans is 7000 per year, anything you borrow over this is written off, if you have correctly reported your income.

Hi, I have just been accepted to Queen`s medical school and I was hoping to get more information about Meds House and other possible living quarters. i.e. their costs and living conditions. Furthermore, I would really appreciate a rough, yearly estimate for total cost of living as a Queen`s medical student/Kingston resident (i.e. rent & food) as well as an estimate for yearly education costs (tuition, equipment, books, licensing, etc.). Thank you kindly.
Don't get too lazy now, you do realize med school will involve finding information on your own, right?

http://www.medshouse.com, not forgetting all the Queen's housing web sites that have been mentioned over the last couple weeks, will give you information about housing costs. You can find tuition information from the Queen's Registrar website, as well as information in the forums about textbook costs, etc.

There is a small grad house on 233 Brock which is owned and operated by Keystone, one of the best housing companies around. I just signed with them today. The rooms are very nice and big and the rent is $550-595 with ALL utils/hydro included. There is a sick loft for $695 as well.

Let's fill it with more med students!

Here's the residential part of their website: http://www.keyprop.com/index.cfm?page=Residential

Archived