Premed 101 Forums

Mcat Too Late?

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be applying to the states this year. I think AMCAS has a deadline for August 1st to complete the application.

The thing is, I'll be writing the MCAT on August 14th. Will this mean that my application wont be complete and not looked at till much later (late is not good form what i hear).

Is this a safe idea? will my MCAT score be kind of "pending"?

I emailed AAMC, no reply yet.

If anyone was in my situatiuon, can you please give a shout. thanks very much! :D

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be applying to the states this year. I think AMCAS has a deadline for August 1st to complete the application.

The thing is, I'll be writing the MCAT on August 14th. Will this mean that my application wont be complete and not looked at till much later (late is not good form what i hear).

Is this a safe idea? will my MCAT score be kind of "pending"?

I emailed AAMC, no reply yet.

If anyone was in my situatiuon, can you please give a shout. thanks very much! :D

hey where did you find hte august 1st deadline? is that to register maybe, and not to complete the AMCAS?

um...as far as i recall, there was no GENERAL amcas deadline! you just have to meet the deadlines for the specific schools (e.g., october 15th, nov 1st, dec 15th etc.). you'll find these on the website. i think you'll be FINE with the august mcat. fine in the sense that, yes you'll be able to apply. and hopefully with the scores coming out faster with CBT, it won't affect the time you are complete TOO much. where as in the past, someone who wrote in august, the earliest their file could be viewed is in late october (when their scores are released).

one piece of advice, try to study for the mcat and complete your primary simultaneously. i tried to devote 100% into the mcat, which was fine and dandy. then i got into the OMSAS and OOP apps. i ended up submitting my AMCAS primary very late (october 16th). this definitely hurt me...and i only received interviews at the schools with no secondary essay component (less processing).

hey where did you find hte august 1st deadline? is that to register maybe, and not to complete the AMCAS?

um...as far as i recall, there was no GENERAL amcas deadline! you just have to meet the deadlines for the specific schools (e.g., october 15th, nov 1st, dec 15th etc.). you'll find these on the website. i think you'll be FINE with the august mcat. fine in the sense that, yes you'll be able to apply. and hopefully with the scores coming out faster with CBT, it won't affect the time you are complete TOO much. where as in the past, someone who wrote in august, the earliest their file could be viewed is in late october (when their scores are released).

one piece of advice, try to study for the mcat and complete your primary simultaneously. i tried to devote 100% into the mcat, which was fine and dandy. then i got into the OMSAS and OOP apps. i ended up submitting my AMCAS primary very late (october 16th). this definitely hurt me...and i only received interviews at the schools with no secondary essay component (less processing).

thanks for taking the time to reply uofthopeful07.

I think i saw the AMCAS deadline without reading it in context properly... now that i check the stuff out more carefully, this site shows the specific due dates for each scool: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008deadlines.htm

I guess when people say "apply in the J months" they mean June and July. right?

thanks again, and if theres any other tips, I'd love to hear em please ;)

thanks for taking the time to reply uofthopeful07.

I think i saw the AMCAS deadline without reading it in context properly... now that i check the stuff out more carefully, this site shows the specific due dates for each scool: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008deadlines.htm

I guess when people say "apply in the J months" they mean June and July. right?

thanks again, and if theres any other tips, I'd love to hear em please ;)

you can even complete SECONDARIES without your mcat score. so there were ppl last year who were pretty much complete, and were only waiting for their score to be released in mid october. that is the best way to go i think. the secondaries will come rolling in either before or after your amcas is verified. some schools will also screen your primary before asking for a secondary.

the biggest hold up will be waiting for your amcas to get verified. so get on it. its a nice break from mcat studying, and it might remind you why you want to be a physician after all, why you're so great, and why studying for the mcat so hard is all worthwhile! and in the states particularly, it will be :D

Im almost in the same situation like you Bane, only my mcat is closer, 15th of june.

I called Amcas and they said to me that i should still apply early even that my mcat is not released...verifying takes lots of time and hopefully by the time my application is verified the mcat results will be ready.

The only thing im scared of is getting a really bad mark on mcat especially that my practice tests were not that promising. Ending up paying 1600$ as an application fee and realizing that i don't even have the slightest chance in 90% of the schools I applied to is not funny when you are on an extremely tight budget....It's a risk, and I'm taking it...

honestly, i think a bad mcat is much worse than applying a wee bit late. hopefully you don't have too much else going on and you can focus on both of them. the amcas primary really isn't TOO bad. you should really be to the point with those activity descriptions. spend the bulk of the time on your personal statement and have LOTS of ppl read it. even if you think you're personality and motivations shine through, it may not to the average reader.

but i think you are in an enviable position hippie, you can totally still apply "early" given your mcat is so early! so right after your mcat is done, take some days off...and then get cracking on that PS. you shouldn't have a hard time submitting your primary by the first couple of weeks of july.

keep in mind you guys can always submit your transcripts even before you submit your primary! this is a good tip too, becuase they won't review your primary until your transcript has arrived. since this is essentially waht the verification is (Comparing your transcript to what you entered on AMCAS). it is a horrible idea to submit your primary and then your transcripts, or to do it simultaneously. you need to send transcripts from ALL institutions you've ever been to. and some institutions will take 3-5 business days, while others will take 10. then factor in mail delivery time.

uofthopeful07,

thanks for sharing your experience, its really helpful. So please dont quit, thinking that no one is paying attention :D

BTW-- by sending transcripts means just send it to AMCAS right? like OMSAS I think has your school do for them. Is there an option when completing the AMCAS online stuff to have this done automatically by your school? Is this a one time thing?

please let us know. thanks ;)

uofthopeful07,

thanks for sharing your experience, its really helpful. So please dont quit, thinking that no one is paying attention :D

BTW-- by sending transcripts means just send it to AMCAS right? like OMSAS I think has your school do for them. Is there an option when completing the AMCAS online stuff to have this done automatically by your school? Is this a one time thing?

please let us know. thanks ;)

You only send one to AMCAS. I can't remember if it was through AMCAS or through your own school....You also send a final transcript in June (to show you've graduated) only to the school that you will be attending.

You only send one to AMCAS. I can't remember if it was through AMCAS or through your own school....You also send a final transcript in June (to show you've graduated) only to the school that you will be attending.

thanks Madz. that would be reatrded if you had to send a transcript to each school. for me it'd be like 10$/ school.

BTW, congrats for finishing MED I.

thanks Madz. that would be reatrded if you had to send a transcript to each school. for me it'd be like 10$/ school.

BTW, congrats for finishing MED I.

Thanks! 4 more weeks to go...almost there!! Good luck w/the application process :)

bane read that AMCAS instruction booklet or have it handy. its really helpful.

there is this "transcript request form" (something like that) which you have to give to your registrar's transcript centre and they will attach it to the transcript. its basically some form with your student number and identification for that institution, you'll probably see it somewhere on amcas... then they will mail it to AMCAS as Madz said. if i recall, the form is not required, but its useful in making sure your transcript is easily matched with the rest of your AMCAS when you submit or something.

• 3 weeks later...
i wrote the mcat once already, and want to write it again this sept.

can i fill out my application and submit with my old scores and then update it later with my new scores?

Yes. AMCAS will be asking you whether you intend on taking the MCAT again, so you can check "yes" on there.

• 2 weeks later...

hihi,

i'm taking the mcat again after taking it this april and not doing well (26Q). i'm taking it at the end of july. on the primary application i said I will be taking it again. Does this mean that I can still submit secondary application? will schools send me the seconday application without my recent score? even if they have my april score?

hihi,

i'm taking the mcat again after taking it this april and not doing well (26Q). i'm taking it at the end of july. on the primary application i said I will be taking it again. Does this mean that I can still submit secondary application? will schools send me the seconday application without my recent score? even if they have my april score?

Schools will see that you are writing it again. Those who don't screen your application (95% of schools) will send you the secondary right after your AMCAS is verified, but won't consider your aplication until the second MCAT score is available. Schools that screen your application before sending the scondary will only send it you after your MCAT result is available and if you have good chances of being accepted.

hihi,

Some schools will send you the secondary even BEFORE your AMCAS is verified. You will be able to complete your secondaries before the scores are out - your file will be kept on hold for review until your scores are received. So in the mean time, try to get every other aspect of your file completed (secondaries, ref letters etc.).

Do you think it hurts your chances of getting in to submit your lower MCAT scores before the newer and hopefully higher scores are available to send in?

Is it possible to hide those scores (older lower scores)? me thinks no...but someone correct me if im wrong

Archived