Premed 101 Forums

IMGs now in the 1st iteration

Ok, so I read the 10 page long thread about the CaRMs changes. My questions is, will this end up being a huge problems for canadian grads? I mean american grads that come from LCME accredited schools that entered the first round had difficulties (as were addressed my many previous threads) because little is usually known about US school quality, they had little exposure to key members of the faculty of their desired speciality, etc. American grads needed to do electives to compensate for this disadvantage.

Wouldn't IMGs also be put at a disadvantage, if not more? at least some US schools are known a little about and are LCME accredited. Furthermore it is easier to do electives and thus gain the required exposure. IMGs may not even have access to all this, so doesn't it in the end work out that they are still disadvantaged?

Or is the big commotion that just their presence there will up the competition llevel to more than it should be?

Ok, so I read the 10 page long thread about the CaRMs changes. My questions is, will this end up being a huge problems for canadian grads? I mean american grads that come from LCME accredited schools that entered the first round had difficulties (as were addressed my many previous threads) because little is usually known about US school quality, they had little exposure to key members of the faculty of their desired speciality, etc. American grads needed to do electives to compensate for this disadvantage.

Wouldn't IMGs also be put at a disadvantage, if not more? at least some US schools are known a little about and are LCME accredited. Furthermore it is easier to do electives and thus gain the required exposure. IMGs may not even have access to all this, so doesn't it in the end work out that they are still disadvantaged?

Or is the big commotion that just their presence there will up the competition llevel to more than it should be?

Hi,

For one, in this year's match, even though the IMGs could participate in the first round, some schools elected to exclude them and most others allocated a separate group of spots in the first round for the IMGs. Canadian grads could get near those spots only if they remained available in the second round.

As for elective time, etc., yes, IMGs will face the same issues as any other applicant to any other program. You need to be able to put in the face time. ...but some do. I know one person who matched to Rad Onc at a very competitive school this year partly because he'd completed a good bit of clinical research at that school.

As for competition, this year's IMG numbers for some of the specialties was huge. One program I know of had over 300 IMG applications for two or three spots.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi,

For one, in this year's match, even though the IMGs could participate in the first round, some schools elected to exclude them and most others allocated a separate group of spots in the first round for the IMGs. Canadian grads could get near those spots only if they remained available in the second round.

As for elective time, etc., yes, IMGs will face the same issues as any other applicant to any other program. You need to be able to put in the face time. ...but some do. I know one person who matched to Rad Onc at a very competitive school this year partly because he'd completed a good bit of clinical research at that school.

As for competition, this year's IMG numbers for some of the specialties was huge. One program I know of had over 300 IMG applications for two or three spots.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Are there any plans to increase the number of residency spots? I double they can increase is so that everyone can technically have a seat, that's a huge increase

However I don't feel that Canadian medical school graduates will suffer as much as we think, as Im sure they will be guaranteed a spot in residency. The only people that might suffer are those from US schools who were able to participate in the first match because they were LCME certified but now will compete with IMGs and are not guaranteed a spot like CMDs.

However I don't feel that Canadian medical school graduates will suffer as much as we think, as Im sure they will be guaranteed a spot in residency. The only people that might suffer are those from US schools who were able to participate in the first match because they were LCME certified but now will compete with IMGs and are not guaranteed a spot like CMDs.

Hey there,

I haven't heard that the government has a mandate to provide a spot for every IMG. That would be quite expensive, for one.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

There are no guarantees for Canadian grads matching to a residency spot. Sure, it would be hard not to if you were willing to go anywhere for anything but no guarantees none the less.

Yeah, and if there were spots for all IMGs to have spots graduating docs would probably have a difficult time finding a job!

Hey CY -- is it that you're actually guaranteed a spot or that there are enough spots for everyone? I know this wouldn't be likely to happen, but if someone was a complete tool yet still managed to graduate from med school would a program be forced to accept them even if they didn't think they would be a good fit? That's kind of what I was getting at by saying there are no guarantees to matching but maybe there are?

The Ontario government guarantees every Ontario med school grad a residency position. They however do not guarantee every grad a spot in the match or a position of their choosing/location. Essentially if you graduate from an Ontario medical school and you go unmatched you know that you will be a medical resident somewhere in Ontario if you so choose, but you are then at the mercy of the Ontario government.

Archived