Premed 101 Forums

financing US schools

Briefly, what are the loan institutions that give LOC/loans etc for studying in the USA.

Everyone knows RBC, however thy will only give 150k, anything above - you need a good set of assets to back you up. What to do in the absence of the "assets"? and , just as importantly where does one get another 50k. My impression from dealing with RBC was that they approached the whole matter like business plan where every step had top be secure (understandably). However, in my case it meant that they will not give me 150 if I really need 220k :(

Any ideas?

thank you!

Briefly, what are the loan institutions that give LOC/loans etc for studying in the USA.

Everyone knows RBC, however thy will only give 150k, anything above - you need a good set of assets to back you up. What to do in the absence of the "assets"? and , just as importantly where does one get another 50k. My impression from dealing with RBC was that they approached the whole matter like business plan where every step had top be secure (understandably). However, in my case it meant that they will not give me 150 if I really need 220k :(

Any ideas?

thank you!

thats tough. dont you have parents "assets" that you could use?

thats tough. dont you have parents "assets" that you could use?

my parents and their assets....

short answer no, actually aside from my spouse I am alone out here. My wife is an excellent co-signor, alas if I were to study in Canada. As soon as I mention that it is in the states the rebuttal from the bank goes something like ths...well, we'd need a person to co-sign who will maintian canadian residency (physical presence)

"aaaarrrrgggrrr"

one advisor actually suggested that I find a more distant relative, who would not be likely to take off with me :)

really need'em assests, dagnabit

don;'t meant to be grouchy, just frolicking in my misery :)

I don't think OSAP gives money for medicine outside Canada, I know Quebec won't give you a penny even if you want to study in Ontario......

Anyways my advice as many has repeated before me... Right now worry about your ps and getting everything done, after august start worrying about getting an interview, then worry about getting an acceptance and once you get it...start worrying about the money!

Same problem as you, might have a cosigner in the states but everyone I know in Canada is struck with poverty.....

The other 50000 can come from canhelp!

that helps, thanks. do they require a co-signor? their application has a space for co-signor, but does it really matter? is their max amount 50k? I thought they would give more if required...

I don't think OSAP gives money for medicine outside Canada, I know Quebec won't give you a penny even if you want to study in Ontario......

Anyways my advice as many has repeated before me... Right now worry about your ps and getting everything done, after august start worrying about getting an interview, then worry about getting an acceptance and once you get it...start worrying about the money!

that is a good advice, except right now I need money to go on to studying in august..., or else I will really have to start worrying about a new application cycle

So you are already accepted? if yes do u mind posting your timeline on the sticky thread above.

I think They need a cosigner but some were saying that they even approve you over the phone so I suggest you give them a call.

Did you try using that your wife is actually staying in canada and that it's only you who's moving? your parents in law?

done, see sticky

yeas tried the "wife staying" line - they're not buying it :)

So you are already accepted? if yes do u mind posting your timeline on the sticky thread above.

I think They need a cosigner but some were saying that they even approve you over the phone so I suggest you give them a call.

Did you try using that your wife is actually staying in canada and that it's only you who's moving? your parents in law?

Archived