Premed 101 Forums

Local Ottawa (English) Applicants

Hi everyone,

Im thinking of applying to UOttawa English - I'm local from Ottawa. My wGPA is 3.69..I know, not so high. But the UOttawa peeps say that my cut off for being from the area is 3.6.

I thought that after the initial grades assessment the grades will no longer count. But I'm on their website now and they're saying that post-interview they do a composite score of interview scores and then wGPA.

however, they also say that "final decisions that apply to the rank list of excellence for the offers of admission are based mainly on the interview performance."

what does all this mean? ive read other postings on this forum and some people said it means its 90:10 (interview:wGPA ratio). does anyone know definitively? do you think i still have a chance equal to anyone who has a higher GPA? even if it is 90:10, does that mean that out of city applicants have an edge b/c their wGPA cut off is HIGHER? or do they normalize it? this info on the website is totally confusing me and is somewhat of a damper!

any help would be appreciated. g'luck everyone. :)

peace.

I am in sort of the same boat... I am from Ottawa too and in second year my g.p.a was really bad due to an illness in my family. It went to a 3.58 (although I have not applied yet I do not think I would write that on the omsas application anyway). However, after 3 years I have a 3.80 wgpa. I too was thinking if that might be too low as the other cutoffs are fairly high. I posted before as well but I thought the point about the g.p.a score post interview would play in the 90:10 scheme.

previously gpa was weighted post interview in such a small percentage that the interview score was the primary deciding factor. This year they have changed the post interview weighting to 50% gpa and 50% interview.

thanks guys :).

i actually emailed them and called them - they said it's more like 90:10 (interview:wGPA) so for the benefit of everyone this is the latest. i asked them if it is likely to change for next cycle and they said no. this is the only other time that wGPAs are considered again.

Archived