Premed 101 Forums

How did we do this year?

Hi everyone,

I have been browsing the forum for a couple of months now. This is my first time posting on here. Congrats to all those who received news they wanted to hear. I was accepted at UBC for NMP (my first choice!). I'm 37, living in Calgary, 2 kids and husband. Don't really want to leave Calgary...but you have to go where the opportunity takes you. Have some major decisions to make...

33 ... accepted at U of Calgary ... here's the brief history:

2005 - applied to Queens, McMaster, rejections pre-interview from both

2006 - applied to Calgary, Queens, McMaster, only got interview @ UC, and then acceptance

Wife is excited about this change ... however, it will be a hectic two months ahead .. since we have to quit our jobs, sell the house, find a place in Calgary (yea .. not easy) and pack! :rolleyes:

Yeah! I just received my acceptance letter today from U of Manitoba! It was the first and only school I applied to!! I'm 33, but will be 34 when I begin school in August!! Congrats to all those accepted this year and best of luck to those still waiting!

I just realized that every sentence I wrote ended in an exclamation mark! I think I'm excited!!!!!! Yippee!!!!

Tell me where you did this degree :)

At Guelph :D It was really a toxicology degree, guess I was confused and thought it was an "in"toxicology degree.

So Diabetes Dude, it's probably why I ended up with a 63 average :rolleyes:

Congrats to my fellow non-trads! It's nice to know we're gettin' 'er done!

And good luck to the lurkers and those on the waiting list! I feel like this is a non-trad year ;)

At Guelph :D It was really a toxicology degree, guess I was confused and thought it was an "in"toxicology degree.

So Diabetes Dude, it's probably why I ended up with a 63 average :rolleyes:

Congrats to my fellow non-trads! It's nice to know we're gettin' 'er done!

And good luck to the lurkers and those on the waiting list! I feel like this is a non-trad year ;)

Hey Darla.

I meant what GPA you got in the "beer major", which I assumed you completely aced. :D

All the best at Western! I have friends in the program who absolutely love it.

Been reading this forum for awhile - I'm a young non-traditional applicant (28) with a wife and kid - I decided to apply after my first undergrad and not liking teaching - tried four times:

1st: Rejected UBC, no interview

2nd: Rejected UBC post-inteview

3rd: Rejected UBC post-interview, rejected UofA, Calgary, Queens with no interview

4th: Accepted UBc, rejected everywhere else I applied no interview.

I knew I had a long haul with my low grades, but two MCAT's later and a five year plan I was relieved to be in finally. Persistence paid off (and a supportive wife) - I just hope my kids will be as supportive with a busy father :)

congratulations to those of you accepted, my fingers are crossed for those of you who are waitlisted, and the best of luck with the new application cycle for those of you who are trying again - that takes such perseverence - i admire you heavily.

anyway, i am 36, married, two kids (11 and 8), accepted imp (only site and school applied to), first time applicant, plan to be a family physician in remote/rural areas. i am relieved and happy, and i wish i could say i am ecstatic, but it is definitely very bittersweet when you know so many worthy applicants who did not make it this time. i look forward to meeting some of you in vancouver end august.

dd

Queen's finally offered me a spot, and I was accepted at Calgary on May 15th.

My dilemma as a 36-yr-old is, should I go to Calgary for a 3-year program, or to Queen's, my home for some years?

Any input as to quality of schools would be appreciated.

I notice MacLean's gave Queen's 2nd place this year for MD/Doctoral programs, but the online chart does not reveal the specific rank for med school alone, unless you have the issue in question... anyone know the figures for Queen's and UofC, just for med school (not overall MD/Doctoral)?

Queen's finally offered me a spot, and I was accepted at Calgary on May 15th.

My dilemma as a 36-yr-old is, should I go to Calgary for a 3-year program, or to Queen's, my home for some years?

Any input as to quality of schools would be appreciated.

I notice MacLean's gave Queen's 2nd place this year for MD/Doctoral programs, but the online chart does not reveal the specific rank for med school alone, unless you have the issue in question... anyone know the figures for Queen's and UofC, just for med school (not overall MD/Doctoral)?

I would recommend not making your decision based on a magazine ranking.

Evaluate for yourself which school meets your needs better...do you prefer to have a couple of summers to explore other interests, to explore different specializations, spend time with family etc? If there is a gf/bf in the picture do they have more friends in one place than the other - I find it really helps that my bf has his friends and family around to do stuff with when I get busy, if we were both in new cities this would have been harder. How does the approach to teaching suit your learning style at each school (ie PBL vs classes, combo of both etc.)? Do you already know or think you know what specialization you would want...is one school stronger in this area (for elective purposes etc.)? There are many more things to consider, but I am sure you can think of them on your own.

I just found out I got in off the wait list at Mac. (Screw my bad wait-list status at Ottawa U!)

31 y.o., 3rd time applying - last times interviewed/rejected at other Ontario schools were in 1997 and 1998. I took my chances and didn't write the MCAT this time around.

It's good to know that there is hope out there for mature applicants.

...I'm in now too. off the w/l at UBC VFMP (I didn't even have to take Dr.Cave's NMP spot)...lol...maybe it was Smurfette's. thanks.....

age 35, 2 children ages 2 and 4, Occupational Therapist. First time applying. 1 MCAT...not very good either....but, at least I don't have to retake it now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Citan,

Thanks. It's been a long haul, but I'm finally here :)

Leaning towards family with the extra OB training, but we'll see how the next 3 years go before Carms apps are due. The thought of pushing 50 by the time I'd be finished a more competitive specialty plus subspecialty is not terribly appealing, but who knows where this adventure will take me!

All the best!

Good choice. OB looks awesome.

I'm leaning toward orthopedics. Therefore, I hope I will be accepted before my 30s to get it done ASAP...but who knows where this adventure will lead me as well. :)

Now, if only I could make up my mind about the right degree...Now I'm starting to feel that I'll never ever make it..:confused:

Ever had that problem Dr. Ccoh? (boy that sounds awesome!)

Archived