Premed 101 Forums

Places to live...

Hi guys, this is a bit premature I know... but I figured that if I can't use this on Fri someone else will!! :P

I'm wondering if any Saskatoon residents (or those familiar with Saskatoon) could update the thread that talks about good places/neighbourhoods to live... I know that prices have changed greatly over the past two years, so I am wondering if anyone would be willing to let me know what the ranges are in terms of rent in neighbourhoods near UofS. I am also wondering if anyone is familiar with condos or townhouses that are being built/available in Saskatoon! Anythign would be helpful at all... it seems housing is difficult to find in SK at this point and few of these developers have websites so I can't access anything...

one more question, when I was in Saskatoon for my interview, there was a condominium being built on Spadina (close to the Bessborough, past the Ukrainian museum)...does anyone know what it's called?

Thanks!!

m

i think the 3 biggest builders here in Saskatoon are Jastek, Northridge and Dundee....if u just google it it should be fairly easy to find the website

As for the condo on Spadina that was building...r u talking about the redish modern building with glass ~15 floors?....if so u're out of luck cuz that building was apparently pre soldout ages ago

Actually as far as i know, all the townhouses/condos that are being built rite now were already sold (ie i know pine creek -120 unit townhouse project in lakewood was sold out couple months ago with occupancy in sept this year)...so it will be pretty difficult getting a new one of those

New houses are easier to find...but also more expensive

If you are thinking of renting some ppl live in the university owned apartments on cumberland...some in school residence...

If you are single, you might want to consider college drive (walk across the street to school!!) but these are mostly just bachelor suites/share rooms

I'm not that familar with the rental market though so i'll leave that for someone else to add to...

Thanks UofS2010...any ideas of what I'm looking at in rent in the Varsity View or the area round Broadway? I actually have two chihuahuas and a fiance so I wouldn't quite suit a shared room type of place:p I don't really want to buy a new house b/c they are usually in those suburby places, one house 2 inches away from each other, and I HATE that...I was thinking of living outside of Saskatoon, buy a house somewhere with a piece of land but that's probably not realistic with winter commutes... although that would be ideal... again, I'm getting ahead of myself...but thanks for the input... WOW, I never would have thought Saskatoon would be that hard to find a place to live in!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi eb16,

As a medical student this year I would be interested in any advice you could offer regarding decent/affordable rental properties (feel free to post in this thread or to pm me).

In particular, I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me some contact information for the following:

"...

Hey momo, I live in a really nice, fairly new (~3 years old) apartment building in a great area of town, quick drive/busride to the university. Rent is definitely reasonable. PM me if you want more details..."

• 3 weeks later...

If anybody knows of a smallish place (2-ish bedrooms) with a garage, I would LOVE to hear about it. I'm up for both buying or renting a place. The important part is the garage because my partner is a gear head and no longer a student. The only way I'm going to get some serious studying done is if he has somewhere to build cars and stay out of my hair.

I already have an apartment up in Saskatoon, but I'm going up there this wkend to take care of a few things (I live in Regina). If I have time, I'll see if I can grab the numbers to the landlords of certain apt complexes that I know are close to the university and post them here.

I just found the perfect place and am so excited! My partner has a bunch of job possibilities lined up. Everything is starting to fall into place for August 16th! I can't wait to meet all of you then.

Snplow, I think that's a great idea for other people that are still looking.

It's a 2 bedroom house with an insulated garage and a whole bunch of recent renos. There's hardwood floors and a large yard with some old trees, lots of flowers, and a garden. I looked around the neighbourhood and within a two block radius there were 5 old volkswagon vans (like the one my partner and I own) so I think the house and the area are going to suit us quite perfectly!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived