Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS: the strategy?

For those who matched in their chosen specialty, especially if it was a very competitive one when you applied, would you mind to outline how you managed to match? Are there things you wish you'd known when you started med school? Are there things you wish you'd done while in med school (such as continuing to volunteer at your hospital if that's where you want to end up)? If you didn't match, why do you think that is?

What are some good strategies to improve your chances of matching?

And if you work hard on making a good impression and showing you're very interested by a particular specialty, as I've read before in this forum... well, hum... who do you show this to, really? Who do you need to impress?

Thanks for any insight!

For those who matched in their chosen specialty, especially if it was a very competitive one when you applied, would you mind to outline how you managed to match? Are there things you wish you'd known when you started med school? Are there things you wish you'd done while in med school (such as continuing to volunteer at your hospital if that's where you want to end up)? If you didn't match, why do you think that is?

What are some good strategies to improve your chances of matching?

And if you work hard on making a good impression and showing you're very interested by a particular specialty, as I've read before in this forum... well, hum... who do you show this to, really? Who do you need to impress?

Hi there,

Things I wish I'd known: that I wanted Rads a little earlier in the medical school career. :) It would have certainly have saved a bit of time, worry and expense. This could be remedied by following-through on shadowing specialties that you think are interesting. (I was interested in Rads in first year and tried contacting a few folks to shadow them but received no response. I should have been more diligent.) In short, spend a lot of time in career exploration mode. You will be exposed to many of the specialties during clerkship but it's nice to have a better idea of what you'd like to do a little earlier.

Strategies to increase matching chances: show an interest in the field and in the program. You can do this in numerous ways: research, contacts within the program/field, etc.

How to impress: it's more about spending time with folks in the programs, i.e., residents (who often have a huge say in the match process) and staff and demonstrating that you're interested (this can be as simple as telling them that you're planning on applying to that program/specialty) and most importantly, demonstrating that you'd be a good person to work with for 2-5 years. Ultimately, folks who are easy to get along with do pretty well.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 month later...

This is an old thread by just wanted to add. Contacts are by far the most important factor for matching, IMO. If the program you want is familiar with you, likes you, and the residents enjoy your company, you have a massive advantage over over students. Their is little correlation between smarts (compared to your class) and competitive residencies, and very strong correlation between having great people skills (ie schmoozing) and competitive residencies. Research helps, but being published 10 million times is no substitute for having the resident on the selection committee enjoy going for beers with you.

Everybody who got the high-competitive specialties in my class were categorically cool, easy to get along with people. Personally I'm not a great people person and I got a competitive match spot, but in general that's a big disadvantage.

This is an old thread by just wanted to add. Contacts are by far the most important factor for matching, IMO.

Hi there,

I'd agree with this. I know a number of folk who were rejected pre-interview because certain people within the program didn't like them and put in a bad word. The converse certainly occurs as well.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived