Premed 101 Forums

the waitlist thread

well, the limbo continues...such a mixed range of emotions right now.

anyone have any waitlist stats from last year? like number taken off the waitlist, when people started getting taken off, how many years more you lose off your life etc etc. It is time to start searching through old posts from last year...

If you were accepted, feel free to post if you are IP/OOP and if you are declining your offer from UBC to help us waitlisters out.

supa

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was waitlisted last year, right up until the end of August (still waiting to hear for this year ... not too sure what that means).

No, UBC don't tell you where you are on the waitlist nor how many people total are on the waitlist.

The waitlist seemed to be fairly active judging by the posting that I was anxiously following. Most of the movement seemed to be June-ish.

The years you lose off your life? Even if I get in this year, wondering if I'll live long enough to finish! =P

I just found out I was waitlisted too! very mixed emotions as per above posters. Is there hope? I have family and I'm not sure how close to the day we could actually get it together to move if I was accepted etc.....

I really want this....I can't believe there is more waiting in store for me.....

I'm sure it was my MCAT that killed me in a tie breaker situation or something....who knows? Will they give us any indication of where we are on the waitlist? :confused:

Holy **** checking the online system was intense! I saw the green and the we regret at the same time....

Hey wanttobedoc, I see that we're in the same boat!

How do you know where you are waitlisted for?

Well, I have to say, even though it's not an acceptance I'm still pretty happy. When I applied last year I didn't even get an interview! At least I'm close. My marks were better this year and I'm going to rewrite the MCAT. I have some cool new things to add to my EC's too... so, damn it, if I don't get in this year I'm going to get in next year.

Courage everyone.

So I just talked to admissions and, yes, they confirmed that they won't say how long the waitlist is or where on the waitlist we are (because we are still in competition apparently). But the woman did tell me that they start going down the waitlist as soon as they find out someone has declined. So we could find out anytime....

The years you lose off your life? Even if I get in this year, wondering if I'll live long enough to finish! =P

haha i feel the same way...

i have one acceptance - to Wayne State in Detroit, which actually starts a few weeks earlier than ubc - i may be all settled and a couple weeks in to class in Detroit when/if i find out from ubc. of course, better than getting a 'regrets' on Aug 31st. (a supa76 shaped hole in the wall in the wayne state lecture hall).

Actually, I heard of someone two years ago getting pulled off the waitlist the night before classes at ubc were meant to start. I am looking forward to drawing the waiting out all summer!

so tired.

although i have no idea how many people are actually waitlisted (anyone have any idea?), last year there were 22 IP and 6 OP who declined/deferred an initial offer. as long as this directly reflects the number then taken off the waitlist, things are looking fairly good.

(from here.)

however, i am slightly worried as the only people i know who were waitlisted last year toiled on it all summer long and never heard a thing. so who knows...

edit: if anyone wants to torture themselves, you can read through this thread from last year. seems like things started moving around the 5th of June. Three more weeks of waiting anyone?

time for a few mind-numbing hours of tennis in the gorgeous afternoon sun...

my guess is that 184 ppl were waitlisted in 2006, and 110 in 2005.

If you're wondering where I got these numbers...

I noticed that the accepted + deferred + declined + refused applicants does not add up to the total applicants in the admission statistics.

This might mean that the remaining 184 applicants (in 2006) were the ones waitlisted..

Any thoughts?

184 people on the waitlist seems quite high, in my opinion. You didn't take into account that 166 people in 2006 either withdrew or was disqualified (interim stats). However, that still puts the total number at 1749 when the total number of applicants was 1767 (1764 in interim stat <=== what a poor stats job). Interestingly, in 2005, the total number is 1450 when you account for the withdraws and ineligibles when the total applicants was 1415 (1414 from interim stats). Now, this is assuming that the withdraws and ineligibles are not already accounted for in the refused numbers, but one this is for sure, which is that UBC staff needs to go take some statistics course.

Last year in this forum the rumour seems to have been that around 50 people are on the waitlist (for IP). This sounds about right to me. So if 22 IP declined/deferred seems like there's a 50/50 chance now.

I'm still waiting for that email they said they'd send out.

I was waitlisted as well. It seems like there are a lot of us on the waitlist from such a small sample of applicants. Also, I wonder why the ubc site noted that they would update our status at the end of this week and beginning of next week when it seems that everyone was notified yesterday. Oh well. I guess we will have to be patient, although I can foresee that it will be very emotionally draining coming home each day with a glimmer of hope and checking my status only to see that nothing has changed. Here’s hoping…

I have this feeling that they have not "confirmed" those extra seats as far as funding/resources available at the smaller sites etc...

and this is why the offers took so long. I am guessing that UBC put up that big red notice to buy a few extra days...and then realized maybe they should at least get the offers out to people they know they have confirmed seats for. This is just a hunch...but, it gives me a false sense of hope for now. I'm going to wait to see if anything changes by next Friday...and then phone admissions to see if I can get anymore answers.

I have a feeling that they have updated everyone's status at this point and only said end of the week/beginning of next week to give themselves some extra padding.

There probably seems to be a lot of waitlisted people at this point because those who got accepted are partying instead of checking this site and those who got rejected are... doing whatever they need to do.

I'd really like to get that email they said they would send us. If only to see where I'm waitlisted. I'm assuming it's my first choice but it would be great to know for sure.

It seems like there will be a lot of movement from the list at the beginning of june then after that chances will be pretty slim since people will have paid their deposit at that point...

Paule,

true...but, even if one has paid their deposit (it is only 300) it is not much to give up if your first choice is somewhere else. I'm sure some people that are accepted at UBC but waitlisted at their first choice, won't find out until later in June...early July. Could be +++ waiting. Has UBC absolutely confirmed the extra seats yet? What about that post a while back regarding the NMP not being able to handle anymore students? It is all a bit elusive....:cool:

Archived