Premed 101 Forums

More first round offers than spots?

Does anyone know if Queens sends out more first round offers than the number of spots they have to offer?

My thinking: if they wanted to fill 100 spots and usually get 70-110 declined offers, it would make sense for them to send out 100+70 = 170 first round offers to make sure they get the most qualified people.

I know this sucks for everyone on the waiting list, since it would mean that not too many spots will actually be opening up now that first round offers are over, but it seems like a more realistic scenario then if they only sent out offers for the exact number of spots.

Do you know that for a fact? Because if I worked in the admissions office I would look at all previous year's #s of rejections, subtract off 1-3 standard deviations and then send that many additional first round offers. The only reason I see schools not doing this in Canada is if they have some agreement with eachother not too. I'm on a bunch of wait lists - no acceptances - so I actually hope that you're correct and my thinking is somehow flawed and/or inaccurate, but I just don't want to spend the summer deluding myself into thinking there's a greater chance of getting in than really exisits.

You can rest a little easier Whatsupdoc. They only send out 100 offers on May 15th, so there are still quite a few more offers that go out in June and onwards. After the next round or two of offers, most of the spots in the class are filled. (However, I know that one guy in our class actually got a spot in late August)

For those of you that do come to Queen's next year, you can look forward to finishing exams about this time...we just had our last exam today. The extra month of classes makes this semester a bit painful!

Archived