Premed 101 Forums

2 full-year chem courses = 4 different half courses??

The wording of Ottawa's requirements in the OMSAS application manual is kind of very technical for me. Could someone tell me if I meet the requirements of Ottawa for CHEMISTRY?

* 2 half general chemistry courses (1 with a lab)

* 1 half organic chemistry course with a lab

* 1 half biochemistry course with a lab

Thanks

From what I can see, you might just be missing a general chemistry lab. It would be best to contact the admins about this though, maybe it'll be ok, I don't know. I checked with them for having 1 half biochem and 1 half organic chem + lab (instead of a full course in either one) and that was ok with them.

I agree with Julie, I think you are missing a half-lab in general chem, and maybe even a half lab in organic. I think they are pretty explicit about needing a full year (2 half courses) of general chem, including the lab (which would be in each half-course respectively). Good luck!

Thanks guys. I just checked with them, and Julie was right. One half biochem and one half (organic chem + lab) make up one full year. She said that as long as you have four semesters of any of the courses listed you're fine. Means I still need one half gen chem with a lab... :(

Can't you just take a half gen. chem. lab (without taking the course)? If your university doesn't offer the lab component on it's own, Athabasca U. does... although you may have to fly to Alberta to take it, depending on which one it is you need and when you need to have it by... I duno, I think it would still beat having to retake a course, though! Might be worth checking with Ottawa, but I imagine they wouldn't mind if you took the lab & course separately?

• 3 weeks later...

That's great! With Athabasca labs, in case you're considering them, the intro general chemistry courses can be done with "at home kits", I think, while the organic chem courses are about 3 consecutive days in Alberta (8.5hrs/day)... pretty nice, you get it all over with really fast... Of course then you have a huge bunch of reports to write, which takes a few weeks, but still, you could be done the lab in about 2 to 3 weeks total, which is pretty good!

Archived