Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Reputation

Far be it for me to choose a school based on perception, but it seems as though some people (both medical professionals and laypersons) have a perception that Queen's is a better school. Yes, at the end of the day we're all doctors and will get residency positions based on individual merit and personalities. However, is a degree from Queen's--intangibly--worth more? Many people speak positively of Queen's as a 'good' school, but I wonder how much of this is based on the MacLean's ratings, which may be indicative of quality in some programs and not others. Conversely, from what I understand, you receive good preparation no matter which Canadian med school you go to.

If you're from another school, please don't bash me or this thread. I'm asking this question in all sincerity and having a certain level of ignorance. I want to make the choice between Manitoba and Queen's based on the best available information. Thanks!

Careful...when looking at the McLean's rankings. I don't think that can be applied to the medical schools entirely. Most schools in Canada are of quite high quality...but if you are looking for an answer to your question, it is probably best to speak to people involved in the medical community in Canada. Most PDs know which schools are good for which specialties...and I think that may be of more interest. Go to Queen's if you feel you are best suited for there, go to MB if you feel your are best suited for there. Bonne chance!!!

having been here for a year and having talked to people (faculty and students) from here and other schools, i certainly get the sense that queen's has an AMAZING reputation. whether that translates into any sort of advantage is a different story. as far as that goes, i have NO idea. if i were picking schools, i wouldn't so much go for reputation of the school as i would decide based on how i wanted to live life. i chose queen's because i love the city and i wanted to be close enough to ottawa (without actually living there cause i didn't want to go to ottawa u :) ) that i could still go to as many sens games as possible. complete truth. where do you want to spend the next 4 years geographically speaking? you probably know in your heart. i'd go by that...

Archived