Premed 101 Forums

Research in ABS for U of O

Congrats to all that got in!

I plan to apply to the U of O medical school this year, but I'm a little confused about the research section of the ABS for ottawa. Does research have to be published in order for it to be considered valid research experience for the research category in the ABS? For ex, if after doing a summer of research (through NSERC, etc), a paper was not submitted for a publication, due to inconclusive results/ further research that's required etc, does the admissions comittee consider this invalid for research in the ABS? I know other people asked similar questions regarding this issue, but some said the work has to be published others said it doesn't. On the U of O website, it indicates that you must specify the publication type. Now, since the vast majority of applicants that do have research experience do not have publications (especially if they are applying during their third year) what should one put for this part of the research section?

I was wondering if anyone could clear this issue up once and for all...I guess emailing the school would be the next step. Is there anyone that came across this issue when applying to u of o (or other med schools) last year for admission in 2007?

Thanks in advance to all,

DoctorPepper

Well, I haven't spoken to the school about it, so this is just my 2 cents... contacting the school would certainly be the best way to get a sure answer.

When I applied, I had research that was at different stages (I'm a grad student)... some was published, some was in print, and some I was still working on. I always added this info in my application (ie in press, in progress, manuscript under revision, or the reference when it was published). I would guess that med schools would value all types of work, even if they may give more weight to published work than unpublished one. Like I said, I don't really know for sure, though. It would just make sense, because as you said, most people applying don't have publications yet. Also, I think the idea behind the ABS is to get to know what kind of person you are. Having done research through NSERC, wether it has been published or not, definitely says something about you, I think :)

I don't know if this is going to help you, or even if it makes sense because it is pretty late, but it might help you out - or someone else. When I applied this year I listed posters and presentations that I gave at student conferences (CSC and APICS) under the "research" section, because officially they are publications (the abstracts are published). I'm not sure if this applies to you, but I didnt have any "journal" publications when I applied and it definitely made this section look better. And, hey, I got in so I guess it was OK! I apologize if this is really obvious to anyone :)

M

Archived