Premed 101 Forums

Orgo in the Summer

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Does anyone know where in Ontario it is most likely that one could take organic chemistry in the intersession and summer session?

Cheers,

Melissa

Guest stargirl

I took Organic (Part II) at U of Guelph as a full summer course. Don't know if they do Organic I as well (they probably do but don't take my word for it)...U of G is semestered though so you wouldn't be able to take a "full year of organic" in one summer

Guest ManitobaMed

Hi Melissa,

Normally, Queen's offers CHEM 280 (a full credit of orgo) in the summer. Unfortunately, though, the course, which otherwise takes 8 months, is crammed into 6 weeks. :eek Also, the class average in Queen's organic chemistry is rarely if ever above 65%.

The course this year ran from the beginning of May to this week.

Guest aneliz

Organic II is offered at Guelph in the summer semester as a full 12 week course (normal semester length at Guelph). I have heard that it is easier in the summer because the class is much smaller and it is taught by a different prof. I don't know if organic I is available but I believe that it is. (Organic I usually offered winter and summer, Organic II usually offered summer and fall to accomodate the co-op students that often have an academic semester in the summer.) As mentioned by stargirl, it is impossible to get a 'full year' of orgo in the summer at Guelph. However, this is no longer a requirement for Western (new rules = only need a half credit of orgo if you have a half credit of biochem.) Personally I would rather take the biochem half credit before taking orgo II again! (I may be biased though because I was required to take a full credit of biochem by my program and both orgo I and II were an 'elective'.) That said, it is also 'too late' to take any chem courses at Guelph this summer. They started the first week of May and are half over at this point! Good luck with your search!

Cheers!

Guest ItsmeMelissa

If I was to take two half courses in organic chemistry during the intersession and summer session, would that satisfy requirements for Ontario schools? I am hoping to take it in the summer so I will have the background for the MCAT next Aug.

Thanks for your help everyone,

Melissa

Guest princejr13

I took the full year organic course at U of Toronto in summer of 2000. It started in may and ended in august (i.e., the WHOLE summer). I think its a good idea to take orgo in the summer as it might free up some time during the school year because you will have one less course with labs.

Guest sydney

Melissa....

You might want to check out the MCAT web-site as I believe they are really down-playing Orgo Chem and focusing rather on more biochem/DNA/RNA type questions instead...as of 2003 (so this would apply NEXT August)...

However, I know that some schools, ie. Western & McGill and others do require this course, most Ontario schools, I believe that MAC, Toronto, Queen's (Ottawa's a bit sketchy, because they will take biochem without a lab instead, I believe) DO NOT...as long as you have enough science/non-science courses to fullfill their very general requirements. Personally...after 1st year chem...I had had enough...pretty tricky to get an A in (for me at least!)...Best of luck with your decisions.

Regards

Guest OneBadSkwerl

Western has a full orgo course in the summer (well it's two 1/2 courses) and it's not *too* hard. I got a 60% in first year chem and in orgo second year I managed a 85%, go figure . . .

Scotty :)

Guest imthewizz

I took it during intersession (6 weeks total) for the two half courses of orgo at western in 2000. I found it damn easy, the lab TAs were really laid back and helpful (and stoned i think!), and it was a relaxing and non-stressful and enjoyable experience.

I just wanted to add, that orgo I is offered at guelph in the summer (I have a friend in it now) but it is a 12 week course (I'm pretty sure).

Also I can't answer about orgo courses in ontrio, but I took organic last summer at Dal (2 months, orgo I and orgo II, one each month, about) and it was great!!! I highly reccomend orgo in the summer! I really enjoyed organic and it was a lot better than I have heard anyone say it was during the school year. You can really concentrate on it. But I really like organic and biochem anyway, so....

Anyway good luck finding a course (those of you that asked) :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Liana

Another option is Athabasca University, which is based in Alberta but offers distance ed courses. You can start and end the courses at any time, and they offer both semesters of organic chemistry. However, you do have to fulfill the lab component, for which you need to be in Alberta for a week of 9-5 labs.

Archived