Premed 101 Forums

2 undergrad degrees

Hey guys, I searched all over the forum but couldn't find anything directly related to my question..I am currently in my 3rd year of my first degree. I dont have a full course load in my first couple years but will be taking 30 credits for the next 2 years of my degree. Since Ottawa wants 3 full years, Im considering doing another undergrad degree while applying. So my question is how would they calculate my gpa for that? Since i'll be applying while doing my first year of the second degree, would they just take that year + the 2 last years of my first degree? Sorry if this sounds confusing..

Hi md16.

I'm not entirely sure but if you apply during the 1st year of your second degree, then they will have to use your 2nd year to 4th year GPA of your current degree to calculate the wGPA as they won't incorporate GPA you obtain during the year in which you apply.

Since your 2nd year in your current program wasn't full time, you wouldn't have 3 years of full times studies required by Ottawa if you apply during the 1st year of the second degree. Instead, you should apply during the 2nd year of the 2nd degree, in which case your wGPA will likely be calculated as:

3rd year, 1st degree GPA X 1

4th year, 1st degree GPA X 2

1st year, 2nd degree GPA X 3

Total GPA/6 = wGPA

Note that this is if you do a 2-year 2nd degree, which is possible if the 2nd degree is in a similar discipline as your first.

Hope this is clear.

Archived