Premed 101 Forums

So Where Will You Live?

I will soon start my search for accomodations in Kingston and was wondering if any of my fellow Queen's (2011) students (or anybody) have begun theirs. If you have, have you made any progress? Where do you want to live? On-campus or off-campus (essentially synonymous in little old Kingston)? A bachelor apartment, duplex, condo, single room, somebody`s dark basement (potentially cheap, potentially scary), etc? Do you want to live alone or have roommates (I hear 1 roommate is good for first-years but 2 should be avoided)? How much are you willing to spend (some drop 1K and some just $200. They get free dinners if they can catch the mice)? Does anybody plan on purchasing a place (could be a good investment)? As for me, I have no preferences as of yet.

Here's the Queen's Accomodation Listing site :)

http://notes.queensu.ca/ALSWeb.nsf

Try the east side of campus. It's close to the lake, close to groceries and close to campus.

Beware of houses north of Princess St. though. You can find yourself in a *very bad* neighbourhood. If you've lived in a decent neighbourhood all your life, it could be a big shock. Seriously, I grew up in a pretty bad neighbourhood in Ottawa so you'd think that I would be used to it, but even I was shocked by some of the stories my friends who lived there told me.

There's also a thread awhile back discussing the housing situation at Queen's.

I will be moving to Kingston in July for my residency. I have elected to go with Homestead and ended up with an apartment on Leroy Grant Dr, which apparently is on the 'wrong side of the tracks'. The waterfront buildings were my first choice but there were no openings.. even in April, which is sort of crazy.. I will be driving so distance and travel is not an issue.. and the apartment itself seems quite nice and well maintained. I really wasn't concerned at all, but reading this forum is making me wonder.. what do people think?? Thanks,

I will be moving to Kingston in July for my residency. I have elected to go with Homestead and ended up with an apartment on Leroy Grant Dr, which apparently is on the 'wrong side of the tracks'. The waterfront buildings were my first choice but there were no openings.. even in April, which is sort of crazy.. I will be driving so distance and travel is not an issue.. and the apartment itself seems quite nice and well maintained. I really wasn't concerned at all, but reading this forum is making me wonder.. what do people think?? Thanks,

Yeah, the rental market in Kingston is always busy :(

I think that the area you are going to be living in isn't bad! It's actually the areas north of Princess St. but closer to Princess than John Counter Blvd that tends to give people trouble. And since you can drive, as opposed to walk through the troublesome parts, it will be fine.

Welcome to Kingston, btw!!

I was waitlisted May 15th so I gave up my awesome 2-bdrm apt then heard yesterday of being accepted, now can't get back to my cool pad... looking at buying now. Please let m know if anyone is moving out from a decent apt or selling a property close to Queen's TY:cool:

Archived